radial arm saw

Old 08-10-10, 09:07 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
radial arm saw

I have an older Craftsman radial arm saw(no owner's manual). I want to use the high speed accessory spindle on the back of the motor for a router bit. What goes on this threaded spindle to accommodate bits? Some special attachment? A standard drill chuck? Any info is much appreciated. I contacted Sears, they were clueless.

Old 08-10-10, 09:59 AM
Group Moderator
Received 259 Upvotes on 210 Posts
Go to page 34 of this manual:

http://www.owwm.com/pubs/222/2238.pdf

There's a list of accessories. Not sure if this is your exact model, but the accessories are probably the same. If you input the model # of your saw on the searspartsdirect webpage you should be able to get a manual.

I had one of these many years ago; the auxilliary drive end was for a shaper or molding cutter head. It's not suitable as a router drive as the speed is too slow and the whole setup is not accurate enough for routing. I checked some of the part numbers from that referenced page and they all come up as no longer available, so I doubt you'll find anything unless it's on ebay or other used tool site.

You may be able to get a universal adapter and use it for drum sanding which it would probably do a passable job on except the motor speed would be a little high for that.

Last edited by the_tow_guy; 02-22-11 at 05:01 AM.
Old 08-10-10, 02:17 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I agree with Vic, speed is too slow for a router. Routers are too cheap not to own a good one or two, along with a table.
My accessory book did show, however, using an adapter for shaper heads, so there are uses for it out there.
Mine is about 1973 vintage, along with my table saw. Can't replace either because they won't break.

Old 08-10-10, 02:23 PM
Super Moderator
Received 7 Upvotes on 7 Posts
Huh...TG is a Vic too? Really? I think Larry may be getting old.....or maybe it's me? lol...

I suck with names...so anything is possible...

Old 08-10-10, 03:00 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Gee, glasses are not reading very well.....short circuiting to the brain. Sorry TG!!! Sarasota hot enough for ya!!!!

Old 08-11-10, 04:21 AM
Group Moderator
Received 259 Upvotes on 210 Posts
Give chandler a break; he might live in Young Harris, but his brain is old.

Temperature here cooler than a lot of northern places but the humidity will kill you right now (helped along by the tropical disturbance in the Gulf). Beer 4U2

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: