Diamond wet saw (tile cutter)

Old 08-17-10, 03:23 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Diamond wet saw (tile cutter)

Hello,

I would like to know how to tell if my diamond blade on my wet saw is due for replacement.

Recently it has occurred to me (not 100% sure though) that the cutting action of my $88 tile saw has slow down quite a bit compare to when the saw was new (3 years ago). But it may have been due to the stocks I was trying to cut lately. Visually I still see a ring on the outer edge of the cutter; the width of the ring is about 1/4 inches.

Thanks for you help!

Shay

Old 08-18-10, 04:29 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Visually, it is difficult to tell. If it begins to wobble (too much heat) or cuts poorly, then it's time. It really depends on how much it is used, or abused. Not sure of the "stocks" you are cutting, so I'll have to leave that up to you.

Old 08-18-10, 05:39 AM
E
i have the same $88 dollar wet saw. Have had it for 4 years and about a year ago i replaced the blade. Now i dont use it everyday, but i was starting to use it more often and i noticed that it wasnt cutting as smooth as it used to. Dont hold, get a new blade and youll love it. I needed to cut granite backsplashes and with the new blade it went through like butter.

Old 08-18-10, 06:02 AM
H
Is there any blade left to be dressed?

Thanks for you inputs. It is encouraging to hear that you have good experience after switching blade.

Since the blade is not exactly cheap, I'd really like to know if experts out here has any ways to tell if the cutter is effective, other than checking it out with actual cutting, partly because the latter is also a function of type of stock you are cutting. Back to the blade, does anyone know:

How much of the outer ring constitutes the diamond cutter?

Is there such a thing called "dressing the cutter" to make it sharp again?

If the entire outer ring

constitutes the cutter, then I still have quite a bit of it on my cutter...

Shay

Old 08-18-10, 06:33 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,230 Upvotes on 1,989 Posts
My wife has accused my of sometimes being very stingy. I also have a cheap wet saw and am still using the original blade. There is about 3/32 of the ring left and I can still see bits of diamond uniformly embedded in the ring so I'm still using it. I assume I'll keep using it until the ring is almost totally gone.

Old 08-18-10, 08:07 AM
M
Originally Posted by hhsieh
Is there such a thing called "dressing the cutter" to make it sharp again?
Dressing it would certainly not hurt. Here's how:

How to Dress a Diamond Wheel | eHow.com

Old 08-18-10, 09:36 AM
H
dressing a diamond cutter

So, I've heard using diamond dresser to dress stone wheels. But not too much about using a stone to dress a diamond blade. The eHow instruction bascially ask me to take a diamond cutter and make it cutting through a grinding stone a few times, correct?

What exactly does the grinding stone do to the blade when the dressing action is taken? Why does eHow say the the cutter would be ruined if you spin the cutter in the opposite direction in a subsequent dressing/sharpening attempt?

Shay

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: