Husky 1.7Hp 150 PSI compressor shuts off

Old 09-06-10, 11:38 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Husky 1.7Hp 150 PSI compressor shuts off

I have a Husky 17 gallon 1.7 horsepower oil less compressor that will run for about 20 seconds and then shut off. I can turn the unit off and in about 30 seconds back on and it works again. It makes me believe the motor heats up and trips a breaker and needs a little time to kool off. The run 20 seconds off 30 and back on seems to be consistent. It does not seem to make a difference how I have the pressure regulator set (low or high).

It seems like it was working fine unti the pressure regulator broke and I had to replace with a new regulator from Home Depot.

Any thoughts? What should I look at?

Old 09-06-10, 12:06 PM
L
Husky Air Compressor

I also noticed that if I disconnect the hose where no pressure can built up in the tank (open) then the unit runs without shutting off. With the hose fitting connected so pressure can build, the pump gets hotter (was already getting hot) and it will shut off.

Old 09-06-10, 03:37 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! How much pressure is being built up during a cycle? The internal breaker won't clear itself in 30 seconds should it trim, and even if it has one. Maybe your pressure is maxed out and it is supposed to shut down? Maybe your tank pressure gauge is faulty.

Old 09-06-10, 07:00 PM
L
I am seeing around 70 lbs on the gauge and the gauge is new. It came with the pressure regulator in a repair kit from Home Depot.(it was clearly made to repair this unit).

When no pressure can build up (ie, the hose fitting by the gauge is disconnected and open) the pump runs without shutting off. If the hose connection is on, it builds up to 70 lbs and then shuts off. I have to turn the on / off switch off and wait for 20-30 seconds and turn back on.

The pump gets hot to the point I cant touch it. a bit of water on the pump will boil right up its so hot.

Any thoughts on what I should look at?

Old 09-07-10, 06:45 AM
M
Something is making the pump work too hard. Start with your check valve. Pull it and make sure it is not blocked or broken. If that's OK, go to the pump head and make sure the valves are tight and work the way they should. Beyond that, it is probably not cost effective to fix anything. Good luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: