Tool advice

Old 09-18-10, 09:50 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Tool advice

I am getting ready to do some remodeling in my house. and one of the project calls for about 15 new outlet boxes to be installed. I am not very good with a cut out drill it seem to just get away from me. I was wondering if one of those multi-tools is worth it or not. They are suppose to do all kinds of cutting, sanding, and scraping task. But I hear the blades are kind of high price, which I may need a lot of, do to my wall. They are made of plaster, which looks like it is applied over some kind of cement board.

Old 09-19-10, 04:07 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I use a Fein Multimaster. It was terribly expensive (SIL bought it for me), but the blades are even more out of line unless you can find them on auction sites. It is the best tool I have used in a very long time. Its versatility is unmatched, and would do well in your situation. Now, you don't have to spend $400 for a multitool. I believe Craftsman is advertising one....Dremel makes one, as well as others. Shop around and look not only at the initial cost, but the cost of the blades.

Old 09-19-10, 04:24 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Several similar tools out even harbor freight has one, I'm building kitchen cabinets and have found out more than once you get what you pay for. For one to 2 small jobs cheap works but not in bulk.

Old 09-19-10, 06:30 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,946 Upvotes on 1,746 Posts
That's not a job I would use my Multimaster for. Instead, get urself a jigsaw blade for plaster, like the Bosch T141HM1. It's expensive, but will last longer than any other blade. Mark out your outlets and drill a hole on all 4 corners with a 1/4" hammer drill bit... then just saw from hole to hole.

Old 09-19-10, 12:39 PM
W
Received 65 Upvotes on 56 Posts
Holes

A jig saw is the way to go.

Old 09-19-10, 01:37 PM
E
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by XSleeper
That's not a job I would use my Multimaster for. Instead, get urself a jigsaw blade for plaster, like the Bosch T141HM1. It's expensive, but will last longer than any other blade. Mark out your outlets and drill a hole on all 4 corners with a 1/4" hammer drill bit... then just saw from hole to hole.
XSleeper, I tried the jigsaw once when I put a exhaust fan in the bath room. There was a lot of dust, and I don't think this is good. My house was built back in the 50s, and there is horse hair in the plaster, and isn't that a bad sign

Old 09-19-10, 02:07 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,946 Upvotes on 1,746 Posts
Jigsaw in one hand, shop vac in the other. Obviously use PPE (n-95 / n-100 dust mask) as needed.

If you weren't using the blade I mentioned, or a similar one meant for cement and plaster it probably created more smoke than was necessary.

"Horsehair" plaster is usually softer than other masonry types, so i'd say that's a good thing. The lime in it is a bit caustic to breathe. But any cement product is.

Old 09-21-10, 05:24 AM
M
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I bought a multi tool at Harbor Freight and thought I'd never use it. For $35 dollars it has been one of the best investments I have made. It will do the job for you better than anything else you could use. Just trace the box on the wall and cut it out. New blades cost about $7 dollars but one blade will handle 15 holes in the wall. It's true you get what you pay for but for $35 dollars it's a disposable tool.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: