Using a Power Mitre Saw Indoors - Dust!

Old 11-11-10, 10:14 AM
H
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Using a Power Mitre Saw Indoors - Dust!

I have a lot of MDF baseboard trim to cut and install for most of our main level, and we are now into the cold winter months here in Canada. I want to get this done but I can't see me cutting outside in the cold. We have a unheated detached garage so I don't want to make a thousand trips back and forth from the garage (which is also cold).

Any advice on how I could cut this MDF baseboards with my Craftsman sliding mitre saw without raising a lot of dust?

Old 11-11-10, 10:29 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Not really....that stuff makes dust..period. Using a shop vac connected to the dust port will help..but not completely solve it. I'd do that and section off one room (or part of a room) with drop clothes floor to ceiling and a big overlap for a door. They also make zipper dropclothes to seal off doorways and such but still allow access.

I have my shop vac plugged to a foot switch so I can easily power it up as I'm ready to cut.

Old 11-11-10, 10:45 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
I like to open the window and have a source of clean air blowing into the room to get some of the dust exhausted out - turning on the furnace fan and blocking the return in that room is one method.

Wear a mask, this is not going to be fun

Old 11-11-10, 10:49 AM
No way around it.. You're going to have dust. I usually will cut on the floor vs on a stand to keep the dust down..and poly off the walls as well as on the floor. You'll have dust on both left and right sides of the saw.. so be prepared to vac up..!

Last edited by jatco; 11-11-10 at 11:22 AM.
Old 11-11-10, 11:34 AM
H
Maybe I should just brave the cold and cut just outside our exterior door...

Old 11-11-10, 11:52 AM
W
I always cut outside. I'm in New England and it gets chilly but as long as it's not knee deep snow I would rather endure the cold than the dust (or should I say the "consequences" of getting dust all over the house.

Gunguy - In my shop, I have a small shopvac hooked up to my miter saw. I usually turn it on for the entire time I'm cutting. I really like your foot switch solution. What kind of switch are you using?

Old 11-11-10, 11:54 AM
H
Originally Posted by Wayne Mitchell View Post
I always cut outside. I put my miter saw on the deck.
Do you live in a cold climate? If yes, do you cut during the winter time?

Old 11-11-10, 12:17 PM
Super Moderator
Wayne...it's something I picked out of the junk during my Navy days. I think it was used for the micro/mini soldering stations to control the vacuum part of the de-soldering tool. It's actually a variable speed control..so I have to make sure to step hard and keep pressure on. Works OK even though it's only rated for 6 amps. I imagine you could make something similar with just an on-off pushbutton rated for 120V and a metal box.

Howitzer...I've never really had to do the work outside when it's cold...but that would prob be better than all the dust inside if you don't have a room to sacrifice for a few days.

Old 11-11-10, 12:50 PM
H
I might just have to bite the bullet!

Old 11-11-10, 01:43 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
I think I'd rather be cold than clean up this mess

Old 11-11-10, 03:53 PM
..How cold is cold? - I'd probably use extensions/stands for the long boards so they dont break on you..if its that cold..
MSF is flexible.. to a point.. Like any other material..!

Old 11-11-10, 04:28 PM
H
Cold? How about "Saskatchewan Cold"! I'll see if my father-in-law has some roller extensions...

Old 11-11-10, 05:10 PM
Originally Posted by Howitzer View Post
Cold? How about "Saskatchewan Cold"! I'll see if my father-in-law has some roller extensions...
Yea..that is cold, 1o Celcius is pretty cold for cutting outdoors. Dont think I'd wanna be out there either. The MDF could get brittle..
If no extensions.. cut at the floor, so the boards dont flex too much. Use a block on the long runs...
It's only 7c here in Vancouver !!
Good Luck..!

Old 11-12-10, 08:46 AM
W
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
Wayne...it's something I picked out of the junk during my Navy days. I think it was used for the micro/mini soldering stations to control the vacuum part of the de-soldering tool. It's actually a variable speed control..so I have to make sure to step hard and keep pressure on. Works OK even though it's only rated for 6 amps. I imagine you could make something similar with just an on-off pushbutton rated for 120V and a metal box.

Howitzer...I've never really had to do the work outside when it's cold...but that would prob be better than all the dust inside if you don't have a room to sacrifice for a few days.
I know the switch you are talking about. It was a two position foot switch from the power supply. The first detent provided power and the second turned on the vacuum pump. I think I'll try a trolling motor foot pedal switch.

Old 11-12-10, 09:17 AM
Super Moderator
Well...similar...but this is more of a straight variable speed control...no detents. Like I said...I think that's what it may have been for. Though...thinking about it...it's got a very heavy duty frame that loops over the top like you see for a machine tool.

Now I'm gonna have to go dig it out and see if theres more info....lol.

Old 11-12-10, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator
Nope..all it has is Dumore Corp on top...no model number or anything. They seem to make industrial motors, controllers and tools...so who knows?

Old 11-12-10, 11:39 AM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
Foot switches are all over the surplus market. Here are three from one company. Prices are reasonable.

5 ampere foot switch

15 ampere foot switch

15 ampere safety foot switch

I have no connection to MPJA other than as a satisfied customer of many years.

Old 11-12-10, 12:36 PM
Super Moderator
Nice thing about mine is..it has a double plug...so one cord from the pedal to the outlet..then the vac plugs in on top of that. Kinda like one of those switch operated extension cords?

Howitzer....sorry if we got off track a bit (a lot?).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: