Air Ratchet 3/8 CP where to oil,lube, and how to take apart? CP 734H as well.

Old 01-07-11, 09:41 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Air Ratchet 3/8 CP where to oil,lube, and how to take apart? CP 734H as well.

Hi,
I bought an old Chicago Pneumatic 3/8 air ratchet off ebay and want to get it up to speed. I was thinking of disassembling it, checking what parts ate recommended here for wear, lube with Li grease, put back together and then oil. I know a few drops in the bottom where it connects to the air hose before and after it good. However, there is a slotted screw on the side that I think is also a place that need to be filled, I think halfway, with fluid? I am guessing SAE 30 W oil?
Someone please let me know what to go. I do not want to damage this ratchet the first time out. I also have a CP 734H 1/2 in. air impact wrench. I know you oil the bottom outlet where the air hose connects every time, and fill a reservoir in the front four times a year. The problem is, I am not sure where the screw is located to do this. I guess I need help on two matters?

Thanks,
Mark

Old 01-08-11, 06:42 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Not sure if this is yours or not, but here's a generic schematic. I don't see any "reservoir" for oil. I only apply a few drops in the air hole to keep things free running, but mine isn't a CP. I doubt you will damage it applying oil to the air hole. http://www.pneumatictoolsonline.com/...ir-ratchet.pdf

Old 01-08-11, 08:19 AM
M
Your impact may have an oil bath clutch, but I have never seen or heard of a ratchet that has any type of oil reservoir. At best, it'll have a little zerk in the head for greasing the pawls. Most likely it'll have nothing.

Old 01-08-11, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator
Received 47 Votes on 45 Posts
Welcome to our forums!

Honestly, if it works for the most part I wouldn't consider taking it apart.
I would try to find an owners manual for the ratchet as I have never heard of a reservoir either.

You can do a complete clean-up of most air tools by flushing them with WD-40.
Hold the control lever full open and flood the air inlet with WD......the little straw extension works good for this.
Hook up to air and after loosely covering the air outlet with a rag operate the tool.
You'll be surprised how much junk comes out.

You can do this a couple of times until the WD comes out clean then follow up with a couple of drops of air tool oil.
Give any visible moving parts a couple of oil drops and you will then have a pretty good idea if you need to do any further work on this tool.

Old 01-08-11, 10:36 PM
C
i use trans fluid. works fine.

Old 01-09-11, 08:54 AM
Super Moderator
Received 47 Votes on 45 Posts
Ya, automatic transmission fluid is a very good cleaner but I would be a bit concerned about its affect on seals and gaskets.
It degrades rubber and some composition gaskets so I would be nervous about possible damage.
I am not trying to push any specific product because I am sure there are other good ones out there but a big advantage to WD is it's ability to absorb and remove moisture.

Its reputed development was for use by NASA in preventing rust and corrosion on Atlas rockets.

Old 01-13-11, 05:26 AM
S
Wink Sorry about the typos gentlemen, thanks for the help and diagrams. But........?

Thanks for the help everyone,
I am a novice concerning these tools. My manual for the CP 734 H 1/2 in. impact wrench mentions oiling the air inlet tube, which is actually the male end of the 1/4 NPT fitting that attaches to the coupler that is connected to the air hose, with a few (4 or 5 ) drops of SAE 30 W oil with no detergents or additives in it. I am guessing that is simply regular 30 weight oil like you would use in a lawn mower?
What was confusing to me was that the Chicago Pneumatic manual to my impact wrench said to add 22 ml of oil somewhere else on the tool and check it four times a year to see how much is still there? It sounded like you undid a screw somewhere and added the oil? Maybe it is supposed to work its way into the nose end of the air wrench where it turns? I am misunderstanding something in the directions, so if you all know what they're talking about, please let me know.
The diagram I received does look like my other air tool, the CP 3/8 air ratchet, which I first mentioned at the begininning of this post. I would like to thank the one who sent it, and from what I read; you all suggest putting in some oil throught the air inlet where it plugs into the hose and slightly run the tool to lube everything first. Next, I would spray in allot of WD 40 and cover the air outlet of the 3/8 in. ratchet with a rag and turn on the tool full blast? What it cleans out will be on the rag, and I would keep doing this until the rag is clean? This would mean there is no junk, or at least very little compared to what was there, and the tool is clean and ready to use? Am I right?
The slotted screw that confused me is brass in color and located just in back of where you press the handle to turn on the air ratchet. That's where I thought there maybe a place to put in some more oil or lube. This ratchet I bought is old and heavily used. However, if you gentlemen think I should not take it apart and lube the moving parts with Li grease if it works after the cleaning I just mentioned, then I will leave well enough alone. I have gone ahead and cleaned the outside of the ratchet and put some oil in it, leaving the tool upside down to let the oil work itself inside. I did the same with the impact wrench.
I have a 13 gal Campbell Hausfeld model #WL6404 oiless horizonal portable air compressor. I found an air filter that fits onto whatever air tool I decide to use at the inlet end, or I guess I could fit it on the end of the air hose from the compressor then screw the female end of the coupler to the filter? It would be a hose-air filter-coupler-male inlet 1/4 NPT fitting-air tool connection. I could just disconnect the air tool I would be using like I would normally, and lubricate every hour or so during use and again when I get done with my job. This way I could use the same filter for all my tools without having to screw it into each tool everytime I use them or unsrew the filter to lubricte the air tool when needed?
I am also guessing that if I drain the compressor after each use to keep down moisture buildup, and disconnect each tool every hour or so and add a few drops of oil when I am switching between impact wrench and air ratchet, that this inline air filter maybe the only accessory I will need for my setup? Unless I learn to paint with the compressor in which case I would have to have a dryer or something? Please let me know this too.
You see there is always somebody trying to sell a noivice like me more than I need. You can by an air filter/ lubricator unit, but only one vendor told me that on a portable horizonal compressor, there is nowhere to mount the thing. I have seen inline lubricators that screw into the air tools air inlet, as well as moisture separators that also filter the air and attach to the inlet end of the air tool? I do not know what would be best to use, if anything. I mean a stack of these things mounted inline on the end of your air tool would surely effect performance? I am guessing if you drain the compressor, and oil the tools, that maybe only a small air filter would be needed to protect the ratchet or impact wrench? Like I stated previously?

Please address all my points and let me know, I got to remove a water pump soon.
Thanks again to all of you that contributed to my education on pneumatic tools.

Best Wishes
Sean

Old 01-13-11, 07:34 AM
M
30 weight is too heavy to use on an air motor (inlet oiling). Go with 10 weight max or, better yet, get AIR TOOL OIL (available everywhere compressors are sold) and put a few drops down the tool everytime you use it.

Your impact also needs oil in the clutch. That would be a good place for the 30W. Find the filler hole, it should be somewhat obvious.

The brass screw on the rachet is the air inlet valve. Don't do anything to it if it works.

Use everything in a safe manner and good luck with that water pump.

Old 01-13-11, 07:45 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
What you are dealing with is the equivalent of an AK47 versus an M16. The latter is built to such close tolerances it will jam and booger up. The former was built with slop in it. Fires every time, no down time. Your 3/8 ratchet will work fine and give years of service. It is not a watch. Do as you suggested and run WD through it and into a clean rag. You don't want it to be completely "clean" as it must be lubricated. Then introduce the tool oil. I have never run 30 weight in mine, but I understand CP says to on their tools.
Filter the air and separate the water out of the compressor, not at the tool and you will be fine.

Old 01-18-11, 06:51 AM
S
Question How do I check the oil level in the impact wrench

Hi all,
I found a hole where the CP 734H 1/2 in. impact wrench receives the 30 W oil, but am unsure how to check to see how much oil is in this part of the gun. I tried to add oil, but none appeared to go in. I also saw nothing labeled impact clutch on the parts diagram. As you can see this is my first experience with this type of tool. I am guessing that I will have to remove the plate on the back of the wrench and look somewhere inside to see how much oil is in the impact wrench or clutch?

Let me know,
Sean

Old 01-18-11, 06:55 AM
S
Thanks,
I will drain the compressor beforehand and afterwards. I got the air filter and its just a $10.00 filter that looks like one of the coupler fittings. I think it either screws into the gun directly or at least on the end of the air hose before the female coupler connection?

Old 01-18-11, 04:50 PM
M
Just from experience now, don't take this advice as the manufacturer's instruction: a 1/2 gun will take no more than 1 ounce of oil in the impact mechanism. Use a small syringe. As you squeeze the oil in the fill hole, press in the square drive at the same time. This'll pop the seal a little and let air escape so oil can go in. Don't forget to drain out the old stuff first.

You're lubing the anvil and the pins that hit it (plus other stuff).

Old 01-21-11, 03:44 AM
S
Thanks sir,
Can you tell me how to check to see how much oil is in the wrench? I think my parts diagram has a 'drain plug' labeled on the side of the gun? I do not remember seeing it though. I was thinking I would remove the back plate on the back of the gun and check the oil level from there? Maybe point the gun at the ground so none runs out?

Old 03-14-11, 06:19 PM
S
Red face Thanks for the help folks. Chicago Pneumatic 1/2 impact wrench oiling is done!

That was a drain plug. I liked to have never got it out. I used an Allen wrench. I drained what I could and put in what was recommended. The thing is great!!!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: