Chicago Pneumatic 3/8 Air Ratchet, old model, will not shut off?

Old 02-26-11, 01:58 PM
S
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Chicago Pneumatic 3/8 Air Ratchet, old model, will not shut off?

I have an old Chicago Pneumatic 3/8 air ratchet I bought off eBay recently. It appears to be a CP 886 or CP 828?
I hooked it up for the first time, and it started up without the handle being pushed down? Air comes out of the top and halfway down the tool from the other air vent constantly? It will not shut off, and even with the air compressor on full-time, it WILL NOT build up more than 60 PSI while the tool is running non-stop. I know these tools run at 90 PSI.
The pin that pushes the handle out, I assume that is supposed to shut off the air ratchet, does extend the handle; but is hard to push back down.
I have never used an air ratchet before. I installed a fitting properly in the bottom of the air ratchet to hookup the air hose. It appears fine and my impact wrench, a CP 734H, works well and the air compressor builds up pressure over 90 PSI to operate my air impact wrench fine. So this air ratchet must be broken?
What's wrong and how do I fix it?? Is something set wrong somewhere that needs adjustment? Please help and thanks.

Old 02-26-11, 02:18 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
You'll probably start by putting a few drops of machine oil in the air intake. It is probably gummed up. If the thin oil doesn't do the trick, you may be in for a tear down. Let us know how the oil thingy goes.

Old 02-26-11, 02:49 PM
S
Thanks Chandler,
I did put oil in it before hand and was in the process of cleaning it when all this happened. I used WD40 along with a few drops of 30W to thin it out. The oil mixture came out of the top dirty. However, the tool would simply not shut off and air came out of a vent on the top and one halfway down the tool. If you think I need to tear it down, just tell me how. The pin that extends the handle does push the handle out, but does not close easily, nor does the air change where it comes out from when I push the handle down. Let me know and thanks. Its an old well used tool and my first. Thanks again.

Old 02-26-11, 04:43 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Pull or drive out the pin on the lever and unscrew the button from the case. You may have trash keeping it from closing off the air. Do this with the air disconnected, and be aware there is a spring and it may be tapered. Be sure to put it back with taper in the right position.

Old 03-14-11, 06:15 PM
S
Sorry its been awhile,
I got it all apart and cleaned. It appears the Throttle valve part was melted into the spring that holds it. I am in the process of getting another one and replacing a few other parts. After cleaning this old ratchet looks new and is very well made. Thanks for your help.

Old 03-25-11, 07:16 PM
S
Hi all,
I fixed it. The throttle valve was melted onto the spring in the handle. I cleaned the ratchet, got a new part (throttle valve $2.00), and it worked!

Old 04-13-11, 06:46 PM
R
Parts source Throttle valve

I would like to know where to get these parts.I have the same ratchet with the same problem.

Old 04-15-11, 03:24 PM
S
Cool

Glad to help,
I went to eReplacementParts.com : Power Tool Parts and Tool Repair and clicked on Chicago Pneumatic. You can also type in your model number, if you know it. You will be taken to a schematic drawing which lists the parts.

Try this link:

Chicago Pneumatic Parts : eReplacementParts.com

My problem was a part called a throttle valve. Hope this helps

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: