jigsaw from hell - chicago (electric?) brand

Old 03-09-11, 05:56 AM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down jigsaw from hell - chicago (electric?) brand

bought this jigsaw on-line and once it's in-hand, can't see how to install blades. seller is no help. either a piece is missing, or it's some kind of insert-and-twist style i've not seen. this brand is the one sold by 'harbor freight' if that means anything. seems like i've noticed dewalt or milwaukee jigsaw blades having some kind of doohickey on inserted end.
any of you above-normal people have experience or knowledge about this beast?

Old 03-09-11, 06:20 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 383 Votes on 339 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

While I'm not familiar with that particular saw, I've bought a lot of tools from HF and the few times that I've had to call their customer service, they've connected me to their tech dept which was always able to answer any questions I had.

A pic showing where the blade goes in might also help
http://forum.doityourself.com/electr...your-post.html

Old 03-09-11, 06:45 AM
W
Received 27 Votes on 25 Posts
Blades

Do you have a spare blade?

Most blades either have a hole in the shank or the shank is shaped like a T. The ones with holes are held by a screw or pin. The T-shaped ones usually twist, but there will be a mechanism to loosen the blade for removal and then to tighten after the replacement blade is inserted. On my Bosch, the top of the handle rotates to loosen the T-shaped blade so it can be rotated and removed. Hopefully other will chime in with the solution. A photo would help us help you.

Old 03-09-11, 07:32 AM
E
photos

[IMG][/IMG]

no, i do not have a blade for this saw.

Old 03-09-11, 07:39 AM
E
Old 03-09-11, 08:02 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
How are you trying to insert a blade into a saw for which you have no blades????? Buy a blade, but buy the right one. I believe you have a saw that takes a "T" or Bosch blade. Let us know how it goes with a blade in your hand.

Old 03-09-11, 08:44 AM
E
hellish jigsaw

thanks gentlemen, for the education...
a T-shank blade makes sense, altho i don't see how it's held in; there is no locking mechanism that i can detect. another photo -
ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

at manualsonline.com, there's about 8 guys looking for an operation manual for this tool. the shown settings of "0,I,II,III" i can probably figure out WHEN i get a blade inserted. the smaller switch below is maybe the blade lock? (altho i see no movement from it.

Old 03-09-11, 08:52 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
The lever switch is for the orbital action...0 is straight up and down...I, II, III are progressively more aggressive in orbital action for faster (and rougher) cuts.

The button may be a blade lock or possibly a shoe lock....or possibly just some sort of cover...lol.

Old 03-09-11, 10:08 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Does the collar where the blade inserts twist? I believe you turn the collar, insert the blade and then release the collar. It will lock the blade in place when it returns. That's how my Skil jig saw is set up.

Old 03-09-11, 11:08 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
IIRC I had one that you had to tap the blade in with a hammer to get it in far enough to lock.

Old 03-09-11, 01:01 PM
W
Blade

The first photo shows grooves on each side of the shaft where the "wings" of the T-blade will insert, then twist 90 deg. to line up to be in cutting position. Show us the top parts of the saw and maybe we can help you figure out how to lock and unlock the blade.

Old 03-09-11, 03:37 PM
E
hellish jigsaw

thanks some more for continued help...

the collar does not twist, turn or slide any direction.
photo of top:
ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

perhaps something has to go down that hole on top near front to lock blade; i tried looking down into that hole, but light and my line of vision cannot co-exist to do that.

Old 03-09-11, 03:39 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
You might have to pull up on the collar before you can turn it.

Old 03-09-11, 04:07 PM
Super Moderator
And though it seems kinda odd..you may just push the blade in..twist to put the teeth forward..then release?

Old 03-09-11, 05:07 PM
Group Moderator
Received 854 Votes on 782 Posts
The wings are 90 degrees from the position they "should" be in when the blade is in position and locked. So I would assume that the shaft is in the "unlocked" position. You would insert the t-shank bit... Then probably insert the correct tool down into the hole on top of the saw, and turn it to lock.

Maybe you don't have the right tool to insert. I'd shine a light down in there. Use a mirror at a 45 degree angle if you need to shine light and look at the same time.

Old 03-10-11, 02:47 PM
E
not totaly hellish after all jigsaw

gents,
in desperation i called harbor freight - they were very helpful. even tho i did not buy from them and this model is discontinued, he was willing/able to email me the owner manual. the saw is supposed to have a "supplied screwdriver" which inserts down that narrow, deep hole on top to loosen, then tighten, a non-visible screw. t-shank blade as surmised. all i need now is to find a screwdriver that will work for this.

Old 03-10-11, 03:19 PM
Super Moderator
After all this trouble...I hope you didn't really pay much for this. A brand new one is only about $25 and no tools for blade changes...

A name brand from somewhere like HD is only about $50.

Old 03-10-11, 03:40 PM
W
Screw Driver

Do not be afraid to grind the sides off of a small screw driver to make it small enough to fit the opening.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: