Makita 6011D Cordless Driver (drill) will not work?

Old 03-13-11, 07:13 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Makita 6011D Cordless Driver (drill) will not work?

Hi all,

This drill has been sitting around the garage for years. I bought a battery for it and placed it in the re-charger. After moving the cord around abit, the red light when pushed came on and after an hour of so I checked it, and the battery was very warm. However, when I put it in the drill, nothing worked? I saw a video on jump starting the mortor using wire leeds and the battery. I read the a post on another forum site that said it was either the on/off switch or the motor normally that fails in this situation.
Should I take everything apart the drill, remove the on/off switch, the motor, clean everything, and then re-assemble and test the motor as I described previously? How do I test the battery using a meter that does voltage/current? This drill is my dad's and it was not used much, what else can I do to find the problem? Since this drill has sat up so long would you guess that something is just corroded and cleaning is my best bet?

Let me know and thanks,
Sean

Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-11, 10:23 PM
J
I have 2 of the same Makita drill. The battery you are using is probably no longer any good. The charger makes it look like the battery is charging but it isn't. I have about 6 batteries, and they are all beyond use, and the drill will not do anything without a good battery. Technology has come a long way, and you can get a 14 to a 24 volt drill for about $30 (Harbor Freight) to a Big name brand for $100+. The battery you are looking for if you can find it is about $30 to $50. Good luck!

Old 03-14-11, 05:11 PM
S
Thanks,
You maybe right, but I bought the battery for this thing before I checked to see if it worked. I knew the old battery was done. This new battery does get quite warm, but the drill does nothing. I am going to take it apart and clean it real good and try again. I found a video on how to check the motor by by-passing the on/off switch? They say the switches or motor go bad on these. You are right, that damned battery did cost $30.00 I just like to fix things rather than buy new ones that tear up in few years.

Old 03-30-11, 06:35 AM
P
seandil

If you give up on trying to get it running, I have the exact same tool and need a charger for it. Let me know if we can work something out here.

Maybe even the new battery too.

Thanks