Delta 15" table top drill press - chuck keeps falling out

Old 03-22-11, 11:07 AM
M
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Delta 15" table top drill press - chuck keeps falling out

How can I press this chuck in so that it might stay. I have read that cleaning it good w/ acetone might work. Not tried that yet, but I have trired mineral spirits & denatured alcohol. But it still comes off.

The arbor is a smooth taperred end, chuck just slides on. Looks like it is simply held in by compression / friction. Seems to me they should have manufactured it with some sort of key or reverse threaded arbor end.

For other certain fitted parts I have heard of heating up the item in your oven to say around 400 degrees, then inserting / compressing it into the other part. Will this work for the chuck? Would that be the right way (heating the chuck up to fit onto the room temperature arbor)?

Suggestions welcome. Thanks Mike

Old 03-22-11, 12:30 PM
W
Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts
Chuck

I am thinking you need to freeze the chuck and then insert it so it will expand when it warms up to normal temperature.

Old 03-22-11, 02:44 PM
F
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
Is it the chuck falling off the arbor or the arbor falling out of the quill? Either way the culprit is probably a worn arbor or possibly a worn taper in the chuck itself. New arbors aren't that expensive so I would first try that.

It should never be necessary to heat or chill either part for a tight fit. Back when I worked with such items my problem was always getting them apart.

Old 03-22-11, 02:44 PM
Group Moderator
Received 162 Likes on 125 Posts
All I've ever done is clean everything squeeky clean and tap it on gently with a mallet. Warming it might not hurt ('puller, the chuck is the female side, at least on my drill press), but I don't think you need to get it up to 400 degrees.

Some reading material:

Machine taper - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-23-11, 07:23 AM
M
Thanks guys for your help & suggestions. I will try again in the next day or two.

Anyone ever notice that it is the female end that always needs a little "warming-up".

Sorry Tow-Guy I could'nt resist that one.

Old 03-23-11, 02:17 PM
M
morse taper?

If there is a burr in the quill taper, it'll ruin the fit. See if you can shine a light inside and inspect it. Or just feel it. Inspect the arbor taper for surface damage too, should be glass smooth. Any protrusions must be carefully ground down. Don't heat or cool anything. Good luck.

Old 03-23-11, 05:22 PM
Group Moderator
Received 162 Likes on 125 Posts
I never have that problem, mike.

And on reflection I have to second the no heat suggestion; you might get it stuck on so it'll never come off again. That would seem like the goal, but there's a reason it all goes together in a less-than-permanent state.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: