I'm tired of breaking shovel handles

Old 04-18-11, 09:56 PM
R
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm tired of breaking shovel handles

I've broken two shovel handles in the past month.

What is the holy grail of shovels that will take my abuse?

I would put new handles on these shovels if I could find stronger handles,
but I really don't know what kind to buy. Is fiberglass really much better?

Old 04-19-11, 05:06 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 697 Likes on 615 Posts
Craftsman or any other shovel with a lifetime warranty..... unless it's used for commercial work, then it's only 90 days [?]

I have taken old shovels, removed the handle and welded a pipe to it

Old 04-19-11, 05:41 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Are you using the shovel as a "shovel" or as a pry bar? If for the latter, buy a 6' pry bar, use it where needed, then use the shovel.

Old 04-19-11, 06:04 AM
B
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Hi relaxn in az, I made the switch to fiberglass a few years ago as the old wood would either break of start to splinter. Unfortunately, I also bought a backhoe and between that and too many years my shovels don't see the activity they used to, but other than the nice red color fading, they are still in good shape. If for no other reason than owning what looks like a more reliable shovel, I would recommend trying one with a fiberglass handle and if you don't purchase a backhoe, maybe in a few years you will know if it made a difference. Hopr I'm still around to hear the outcome .

Larry, when the shovel is in your hands and the pry bar is in the truck, doesn't the shovel becomes a pry bar? I'm sorry .

Bud

Old 04-19-11, 06:22 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,621 Likes on 1,455 Posts
My favorite is the Structron brand (I think Seymour is the manufacturer???) with my favorite being their long handle with a sawtooth blade which is great for my extremely hard soil. The Structron shovels are less expensive and not as heavy as full on commercial duty brands.

Old 04-19-11, 06:35 AM
J
Received 125 Likes on 110 Posts
Not trying to use it as a pry bar is the main good tip.
I switched to fiberglass handles and broke far more handles then the wooden ones. If left outside in the sun the material breaks down there made of. Even my high dollar fiberglass ladders start to fall apart and crack.
I found some super duty shovels at Northern Tool that have a longer farrel, a large flat area on the top where you step down on it to push it in, that my guys have yet to be able to break. I used to have to figure in a least one shovel or hoe per job in the price because I knew they were going to break something on every job.

Old 04-19-11, 02:06 PM
Originally Posted by Bud9051 View Post
Larry, when the shovel is in your hands and the pry bar is in the truck, doesn't the shovel becomes a pry bar? I'm sorry .

Bud
I checked the book, and you are correct!! It specifically states "Any tool on site can be substituted for the proper tool, as long as the broken pieces are buried to where the boss can't find them".

Old 04-19-11, 02:17 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I have seen and used more then one shovel that has been repaired the redneck way, galvanized pipe. If the wife's the one who uses it you might want to rap it with friction tape before giving it back to her. The friction tape lets her know you care. Almost as good as candy or flowers.

Old 04-19-11, 02:28 PM
Oh, no, don't go there, Ray!! There are tools, then there are "her" tools. Never let one of "her" tools make its way to your truck! And should it happen and your guys either break it or get it obnoxiously dirty, best to buy a new one, ribbon and all Flowers help.

Old 04-19-11, 02:31 PM
B
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Larry, LOL, the stories that could be told.

Bud

Old 04-19-11, 03:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I tried a fiberglass handle, I managed to break it twice, right above the shovel part. I cut it off and reinserted, and now the handle has become shorter ) The last time, I filled the inside with a piece of pvc pipe. It still weighs about the same, additional pipe, less length and a somewhat shorter "pry bar", its been holding now for 6 months.

Old 04-22-11, 09:32 AM
R
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess you could say that I was using the shovels to pry out some buried treasure. I'm seriously considering a welded steel handle now.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: