Sawzall Blades

Old 05-19-11, 02:23 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sawzall Blades

I always use The Ax Blade made by Milwaukee. It cuts metal or wood & there is no need to change blades, for different materials.

I went to Home Depot & asked whom I thought was a Home Depot employee but in reality was a Hilti employee who tried to sell me some Hilti blades. Apparently, they have a product designed to compete with The Ax. I said that I would take one but that I wasn't going to take a chance on a 20 dollar pack of them. Of course, single blades aren't available.

Has anyone used the Hilti blades & do they compare to Milwaukee?

Old 05-19-11, 02:48 PM
Super Moderator
Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts
I try to use manual cutting when I can. Blades are the biggest tool rip off I can think of. I buy the no name stuff. Cuts as good as the expensive stuff, and 1/3 the price. The fine tooth ones are worth a &%@* and are only good for cutting threaded rod with out the blade jumpping.

Milwaukee I think is junk for the price also.

Lets compare.

15 blades 12 bucks

Northern Industrial Reciprocating Saw Blades — 15-Pc. Set | Reciprocating Saw Blades | Northern Tool + Equipment

12 piece Milw... 30 bucks

Milwaukee Sawzall Ultimate Demolition Blade Kit — 12-Pc., Model# 49-22-1129 | Reciprocating Saw Blades | Northern Tool + Equipment

What would you buy? I would take the 12 buck one.

Just my opinion.

Mike NJ

Old 05-19-11, 03:14 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
That has not been my experience at all. The no name stuff doesn't compare to The Ax Blade.

Old 05-20-11, 10:45 PM
N
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pulpo:

So far as I'm concerned, mentioning Milwaukee and Hilti in the same sentance is like mentioning Buick and Bentley in the same sentance.

Until recently, Hilti didn't make consumer products for DIY'ers. Their product line was made for professional builders and trades people, not the DIY'er. I have a Hilti TE-10 rotary hammer drill, and it's construction is better than anything offered by Bosch, Milwaukee, Makita, DeWalt or any of the other consumer brand names. It has a steel piston ring on a steel piston (similar to a car's piston engine) to drive the drill bit back and forth with each rotation, whereas Bosch (and the others) have only an O-ring in a round bore. You tell me which is going to last longer: a steel piston ring or a rubber O-ring.

Trust me on this: If it's got Hilti's name on it, it's quality stuff. But, if it costs twice as much, you're not likely going to see twice the life or durability of the blades. It's like anything else; it's a case of diminishing returns. To make a reciprocating saw blade that provides good service doesn't cost that much. To make one that lasts 50% longer costs twice as much. To make one that lasts twice as long costs 5 or 6 times as much.

But, the Hilti name on any tool (including drill bits and blades) is a sure indication of quality.

The headquarters of the Hilti Company are in Lichtenstein. The brothers that started the Hilti company were pro-**** and wanted Lichtenstein to become part of Hitler's "third reich" in the 1930's. Regardless of what you think about Hitler and his views, German engineering has always been held in high regard, and Hilti is no exception.

Hilti - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'd buy the blades. They won't be any lesser quality than Milwaukee.

Old 05-21-11, 07:14 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Hilti might be a good company but I was going to do a job which was far from any Home Depot & I wanted to be sure that all would go well. The job was to demolish a metal shed. It had to be cut into pieces for sanitation.

As I told the Hilti guys, I'll try one blade & if it's good, I'll buy them again, in the future. They said that they couldn't do that. As for the price, it was just $1.50 more.

I don't discuss WWII. That's a wasted conversation.

Old 05-21-11, 07:40 AM
Super Moderator
Your better off using a plasma cutter. Why waste your time with a sawzall.

Mike NJ

Old 05-21-11, 08:38 AM
Group Moderator
Received 629 Likes on 538 Posts
I agree that Hilti stuff is good stuff, but I also agree that I would want to try a blade first to see if it is worth the extra money. The AXE blades are very nice as are the Bosch Demo blades.

In my experience cheap blades just end up looking like a banana.

Old 05-21-11, 09:29 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Blades that are advertised for metal and wood are over rated. You cut metal all day, get a metal blade. You demo wood with an occasional nail, the AXE blades are great. But don't expect them to cut through nails all day without degrading. Screws are even rougher on the blade since they are hardened. I buy (finance) 25 packs of good aggressive blades since the first thing we do on jobsites is demo. Gotta look for deals, though. Retail is tough. I have found it difficult, too to get the vendors to let go of samples. Don't make sense!! You invest in a blade for me to use, I might come back. If not, you'll never know.

Old 05-21-11, 01:02 PM
F
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
What do you guys think of Lenox? Somewhat off-topic but I needed a 2-1/4 inch hole saw to cut through a sheet-metal cabinet. I got a Lenox from the blue and red big box that was advertised as being for either wood or metal and it barely scratched the paint. If I had still been employed I could have gotten a high-speed steel hole saw from the tool room that would have gone through that steel like it was balsa but... I've bought a few Lenox blades for my sawzall but I use it so infrequently I don't know if the Lenox blades were as good or worse than the Milwaukee.

Old 05-21-11, 01:34 PM
Group Moderator
Received 629 Likes on 538 Posts
In my experience Lenox blades and hole saws are just as good as the others mentioned. I have a electrician's kit with 7/8" - 2 3/8" that I have used the crap out of. I have even cut holes in 1/4" steel with them. Was the saw you bought a bi-metal hole saw?

Old 05-21-11, 01:56 PM
Super Moderator
Go to the loading dock on this site. Fill out the card to get a free blade. They make you look around the site before you you can fill out the card.

Professionals only....................LOL

Lenox T2 Reciprocating Saw Blades|cutSomething.com

Mike NJ

Old 05-21-11, 04:05 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Thanks but no thanks. A free blade is not worth putting my name in another data base which will be sold to who know how many spammers.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: