fiberglass ladder repair

Old 06-19-11, 09:28 AM
T
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fiberglass ladder repair

I've got a 2 pc 28ft heavy duty fiberglass extension ladder for free due to it showing up nw with a 2 inch crack on one side of the top piece. Structurally it's fine but I'd like to repair the crack so it doesn't get bigger. Is there some kind of product specifically for this and where can I get it?

I was thinking of just using epoxy and a few pieces of duct tape over that. Or is that just a bad redneck fix?

Thanks!

Old 06-19-11, 10:19 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
That's why you got it for free. It was worth every penny of it. I wouldn't use a repaired ladder. If you have to repair it, use a fiberglas cloth/resin repair kit on both sides of the crack, and wrap it around the frame and allow it to go plenty above and below the crack, inside and out.

Old 06-19-11, 10:59 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Also...not sure if FG is the same as other materials.....but normally you drill a small hole at the ends of the crack to keep it from spreading.

Extend the repair as far beyond the crack (top and bottom) as possible. You'll also have to rough it up quite a bit to get good bonding.

Old 06-19-11, 02:15 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 702 Likes on 619 Posts
I'd be leery of a repaired extension ladder, I'd hate for the repair to fail when I'm 20' off the ground

If I was to repair it, I'd fiberglass [resin and cloth] on 1 side and bolt a steel plate onto the other.

Old 06-19-11, 03:47 PM
Super Moderator
Received 65 Likes on 60 Posts
It would be somewhat irresponsible to recommend repairing a broken ladder.

It could be a lack of familiarity with ladders that would make one consider repairing a broken one.
If the repair is needed on the top portion it will be stressed at the ladders full extension which could kill you or worse if it failed.

I hate to use myself as an example but I have climbed ladders literally thousands of times in my career, many of those at full extension, carrying a heavy bag of tools and have never come close to having an accident and not because of luck.

Read and follow accepted safety guidelines which say not to repair broken ladders and you will have a happy and healthy life.........Only a little more broke for having to buy a new ladder!

Old 06-19-11, 04:47 PM
T
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool thanks for the info everyone.

The crack is at the top of the ladder on the extension piece so other than my load there is never any more or less load on it regardless of extension. I understand everyone's concern but I don't think it's really a safety issue the way it is. I too use ladders almost every day to climb houses and telephone poles although this ladder is strictly for light residential use now.

D

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: