Leatherman needs attention

Old 06-27-11, 07:53 PM
W
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
Leatherman needs attention

I have an original Leatherman Super Tool that goes everywhere with me, but is showing its age. The main metal pins that it pivots on are loose, and the cutting jaws in the pliers dont line up real well any more, even after I tried to sharpen them. This tool looks like it was never made to come apart, but it really needs a tune up to tighten things back up. Any advice out there?

Old 06-28-11, 04:24 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
With a lifetime warranty, why not just get permission to send it back for a replacement. I did it once to my father's Buck folding pocket knife that had loose rivets. Not only did I get a new knife as a replacement, I got a personal note from one of the Buck Brothers apologizing for my father's knife failure. THAT'S the way to handle business!

Old 06-28-11, 07:06 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Same advice here, knife companies are very good about warranty, even if it wasn't originally a lifetime one......and same experience with Buck.

Wrote a letter just complimenting them on a knife that I had carried daily for 10 yrs in the Navy. It had been sharpened so much that the tip of the blade was no longer inside the handle when folded, but it was still tight and functioned perfectly.

Got a letter back a few weeks later from one of the sons, told me if I was ever able to bring it to the factory in Chula Vista CA, since it had some sentimental value, they would be happy to partner me with one of the guys in the shop and I could watch as he put a new blade in and gave it a tuneup. Or I could mail it for a replacement. I was blown away! I still have it 30 yrs later....it's in the same box as my Dads folding hunter that he carried for 20 years.

Old 07-08-11, 10:29 AM
W
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
Leatherman Tune Up

Following your advice, I first wrote, and then called the Leatherman Company. They would be willing to replace my super tool for free with a new 300 model as their explanation was that the one I have was retired 11 years ago, and probably cannot be repaired. I have had this one a long time, and it too has the original box and paperwork safely tucked away. From what I can see, all I need to do is remove and replace the main pin that the pliers pivot on. If that pin is just pressed in, I can press it out myself and get a stainless pin made to put back in. If the pin is not straight and has other internal machining done to it, then it becomes another matter. I would rather buy a newer model as a spare and keep this one, than exchange it. I figure somebody out there has either repaired or, seen one of these apart and can give me a clue.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: