Air Compressor not working! Help!

Old 06-27-11, 08:25 PM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Air Compressor not working! Help!

Hi,

I have a Campbell Hausfeld air compressor that has suddenly stopped working. It runs but will not build up pressure. If I put my hand on the intake, it is sucking in. I opened up the cylinder and the reed looks fine. I also replaced the rings and gaskets but still nothing.

The only "leaks" are at two valves. One is the easy start valve at the cylinder. It is supposed to slam closed but won't due to a lack of pressure and the other is a small needle that pushes on the pressure switch. Should this be leaking?

What about the check valve? It looks fine but how can I test it?

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Rob

Old 06-28-11, 05:12 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums!! The needle at the switch should not be leaking. I would check into that, first. Is it not building up tank pressure or outlet pressure? Reason I am asking, my CH in the shop stays at 90 psi for air tools. I almost never adjust it. Well, Friday I went to adjust the pressure down to spray paint. That's when it all when south. Tank pressure fine......outlet pressure zero. After taking it apart, I found the needle type valve with a rubber washer on it that is moved by the diaphragm movement when you adjust the pressure had disintegrated....the rubber, that is. Split right around the needle shaft. It would stick in the hole from the diaphragm and let no air past it. So I was wondering if you had NO pressure or NO OUTLET pressure.

Old 06-30-11, 11:25 PM
O
Hi Chandler,

Thanks for the reply. The compressor will not build pressure in the tank. It looks like the leak in the needle is preventing the quickstart from shutting and the pressure never builds up.

Rob

Old 07-05-11, 08:12 PM
O
Ok, I've tested the piston and the compression is good. The compression was probably fine before I changed the rings but it's really good now.

If I run the motor and block the outlet (after the easy start) with my finger, the easy start shuts and the pressure is good.

If I plug the copper tube before the check valve, again everything works well.

However, if I plug the outlet end of the checkvalve (the end that goes to the pressure switch), the easy start doesn't close.

Question: Should the force required to open the check valve be enough to close the easy start?

Old 07-06-11, 09:16 AM
M
Rob, it's probably the check valve. If it's letting air out, the tank will not build up pressure and the unloader will not stop leaking. Take it out and see if there is something stuck in it or the valve plate and seat are no longer lapped tight.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: