Power Drills

Old 01-02-01, 05:34 PM
Visiting Guest
I'm a DIY greenhorn.

Can anyone tell me with regard to Power Drills, what the terms "hammer" and "torque" mean?

My specific concern is to buy a new drill to replace an ancient one.

Ideally I want it to be (a) cordless and (b) as powerful and multipurpose as possible, including handling interior and exterior masonry easily.

Thanks in anticipation of your help.

Old 01-03-01, 12:21 AM
Visiting Guest
Hi how are you? My opion and you know what that is.I own 2 dewalt 18v hammer drills.You can switch fom hammer(masonry)or to just drill.Bought the first 1 about 3yrs ago and next1 about 6 mos ago.We use them just about every day and have not 1 prob. with either.just don't let them get wet,takes a while to dry out.Hope i helped a little good luck

Old 01-03-01, 11:42 AM
Visiting Guest
Hi Johnathan,

Hammer, means hammer action, like a jackhammer.

Torque, means twisting power. Lower rpm, usually mean higher torque. Again, useful for drilling masonry.

High torque, hammer drills require alot of power and therefore cost alot of money. They are available in cordless models. I guess money is not an issue for you. lol.

On a much more practical note, a general purpose cordless drill is a good tool to own. One advantage to a 12 volt drill verses a 18 or 24 volt monster drill is the weight. Have you ever held a 24 volt cordless drill overhead for very long? You will appreciate a lighter weight ordinary 12 volt drill for all jobs except special applications such as masonry and deck building. Plus those 24 volt drills often fall right out of a tool belt holster.

I guess if price is not an issue, then you can own both.
For around the home, $70 for a general purpose drill for 90% of all your work, and $300 for a 24 volt hammer drill for 10% of the work.

Personally, I think the 24 volt hammer drills are better suited for jobbers who use them often, and need the cordless feature.

If you really want to throw money around, buy the new cordless circular saws. They are really niffy! I use it all the time.

It seems clear to us that you are in need of a masonry drill just now for a project you are doing. It would be a mistake to buy a cordless hammer drill, thinking that it would make a good general purpose drill.

Mark

Old 01-03-01, 12:23 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Whatever you buy, go for a keyless chuck, and I prefer 1/2".

Old 01-10-01, 08:41 AM
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

I'm a handyman and satelite dish installer and own a dewalt 14.4 volt hammer drill and a black & decker 7.2 for back up. The only drawback to the dewalt is that the charge on the batteries, under high torque, go pretty fast. My remedy is to have two extra batteries fully charged on hand. Otherwise, the drill is just fine for my use.

Old 01-10-01, 09:49 AM
Craftsman
Visiting Guest
I am just a regular home owner/DIYer, I own 2 drills, both cordless.

14.4 volt Dewalt
2.4 volt Craftsman "Brite lite"

I use the Dewalt 99% of the time. It is strong enough to tackle all of my needs (it does take a while to bore into masonry). It is light enough that I don’t get tired like Mark said.

The little 2.4 volt one I use when I am doing electrical work (it's got a little built in light, and only cost $19).

My one bit of advise is stay with a brand name (Dewalt, Porter Cable, Rigid, etc.)

Enjoy
Craftsman

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: