Drain valve for Compressor

Old 07-25-11, 12:20 PM
V
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Drain valve for Compressor

I recently purchased a used 60gal black max air compressor. The previous owner had a huge (approx. 3.0") galvanized nipple and cap in lieu of a drain valve on the bottom. I bought this thinking it would be an easy fix however i do not know where i can find the fitting that i need nor do i know the proper name for it. I'm hoping someone here can help. Attached is a picture of the piece i'm looking for. Oh and i even found the original owner manual for this compressor and it doesn't call out the part i'm looking for either, only the actual drain valve.

Old 07-25-11, 02:45 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 703 Likes on 619 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

I've always heard it called a petcock, similar to the drain on the bottom of your vehicle's radiator. I replaced the one on my big air compressor with an elbow and nipple along with a gas shut off valve - it makes it easier to drain the water off the bottom of the tank.

Old 07-25-11, 03:58 PM
M
Why do you need that adapter fitting? Is the original cross threaded or somehow ruined?

Ps
I got it, it's missing. Go to a plumbing supply and ask for a pipe reducer fitting. You have to know the NPT size and I doubt they'll have one to take you right from that to the 1/4 or 3/8 NPT drain ****. It could work if you just get a pipe plug in the correct size, then drill and tap it for the drain ****. Good luck.

Pps
I meant "valve", of course

Last edited by markiz37; 07-25-11 at 05:20 PM.
Old 07-28-11, 07:35 AM
V
Thanks for the help guys. i was able to find some fittings here:

McMaster-Carr

The fitting is referred to as a threaded tank fitting...in this catalog anyway! And 3/8" is the smallest you can get but that should work for me. I plan on adding an elbow, nipple, and shut off valve as suggested. That should make like easier. Thanks again

Old 07-28-11, 11:22 AM
No, tank fitting is a two-piece assembly that sandwiches the tank wall between a flanges fitting and the nut holding it together. What you need is a pipe bushing. You may need two in order to bush down to the required size.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#iron-and-steel-pipe-fittings-and-pipe/=ddi0zd

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: