Need to cut small brass rods and tubing

Old 08-12-11, 06:44 AM
K
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need to cut small brass rods and tubing

Now and then I have to make a small batch of short brass and aluminium rods and tubes in sizes 1/8 to 3/8 " diameter with fairly square ends and reasonably exact lengths ( +/- 0.2 mm. )

At present a fine toothed hacksaw works OK to cut the rods and then I grind down the ends to length and squarish.

The thin wall tubing is the problem. Can't find a hacksaw with fine enough teeth, and the finest I have tends to jam or rip the walls. Have tried a Dremel but can't get the spinning disk lined up because the body of the drill gets in the way.

So, I make a deep nick with a triangular needle file and break off a section, then grind.

I suppose I need a jeweler's lathe, or a bandsaw but can't justify the cost for such a small job.

What I'd like is a hacksaw as thin as a razor blade with a thousand teeth per inch.

Any suggestions ?

Old 08-12-11, 06:57 AM
Originally Posted by Knuckles View Post
Now and then I have to make a small batch of short brass and aluminium rods and tubes in sizes 1/8 to 3/8 " diameter with fairly square ends and reasonably exact lengths ( +/- 0.2 mm. )

At present a fine toothed hacksaw works OK to cut the rods and then I grind down the ends to length and squarish.

The thin wall tubing is the problem. Can't find a hacksaw with fine enough teeth, and the finest I have tends to jam or rip the walls. Have tried a Dremel but can't get the spinning disk lined up because the body of the drill gets in the way.

So, I make a deep nick with a triangular needle file and break off a section, then grind.

I suppose I need a jeweler's lathe, or a bandsaw but can't justify the cost for such a small job.

What I'd like is a hacksaw as thin as a razor blade with a thousand teeth per inch.

Any suggestions ?
Not quite 1000 teeth per inch, but...

Let me just say I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Bosch multi-tool and I've been able to cut very very clean lines in metal with it. This might be worth a try for you.

Old 08-12-11, 07:04 AM
B
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Old 08-12-11, 08:08 AM
K
Great suggestions, thanks.

I'm sure I'm going to love my MultiTool too ! Looks like a Mega Dremel.

The saws on that other site should do the trick, and there's plenty of other stuff there I'd like.

Old 08-12-11, 08:15 AM
Originally Posted by Knuckles View Post
Great suggestions, thanks.

I'm sure I'm going to love my MultiTool too ! Looks like a Mega Dremel.
Not exactly.

The multitool does not rotate, it vibrates, so the blade goes back and forth instead of in a single direction, which *I* think makes it MUCh easier to control because the tool is not always fighting you to go off in a single direction.

And I've actually had the blade bump up against my skin and do no damage - but it goes through wood, metal, drywall, etc very cleanly. It's not the fastest cutter around but it is PRECISE and CLEAN.

There's an assortment of blades for it too, including grinding edges and metal cutting blades that are round or square ended.

Old 08-12-11, 01:08 PM
M
For tubing, can you just use a small pipe cutter? Like this one

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: