Loss of Power, Makita 18 volt Cordless Impact Driver

Old 08-19-11, 04:01 PM
P
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loss of Power, Makita 18 volt Cordless Impact Driver

My Makita 18 volt Cordless Impact Driver, is suddenly suffering from power loss, it seems to work normally, however it only drives the screw into the wood circa 1/2 inch, and then stops dead.

The battery is fully charged, and seems to have plenty of charge left, as soon as I disengage from the screw head it then spins normally, but does not sem to have the strength to drive the screw in any further!

Will changing the brushes solve the problem, or is the battery or the driver shot?

Please help, I have an urgent diy job to complete this weekend and am hoping that I don't have to go and spend loads of money on a new impact driver.

Old 08-19-11, 04:41 PM
B
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
At this distance this is just a guess, but sounds like the battery. The voltage may look like it is fully charged, but internal resistance loads it down as soon as you put it under load. Spare batteries are always good to have.

If the drill or brushes where going you might hear some arching and smell the ozone.

Bud

Old 08-19-11, 05:16 PM
F
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
99% chance it is a dead cell within the battery.

Old 08-19-11, 05:47 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Mine run like a mouse being chased by a lady with a broom, until the battery reaches end of charge. Then it will drive one more screw. That's it. Put a charge on them and it runs for hours at full throttle.
I agree it is a dead cell in the battery.

Old 08-20-11, 05:28 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,628 Likes on 1,461 Posts
You did not say what type battery your driver has but I'm betting it's either NiCad or NiMH but it sounds more like a old worn out NiCad. As the battery ages not only does it loose the ability to store power the rate at which current can flow through the battery also decreases. This leads to a state where you can put a volt meter on the pack it will show a good voltage but the it has lost the ability to flow current at a useful rate.

Old 08-20-11, 05:37 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 698 Likes on 616 Posts
Originally Posted by PedrCymro View Post
M
The battery is fully charged, and seems to have plenty of charge left, as soon as I disengage from the screw head it then spins normally, but does not sem to have the strength to drive the screw in any further!
I bet if you were to take your hand and try to stop the drill chuck from turning you could. I agree with the others that it's time for a new battery.

btw - welcome to the forums!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: