drilling a hole in a concrete wall

Old 01-08-01, 11:42 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question

I just bought myself a house and I am really new at all of this fix-it stuff, but I really want to learn. I am trying to attach a mailbox to my brick/concrete outside wall. The new mailbox ( a standard outside box) came with 2 blue plugs as well as the 2 screws.I have tried to make a hole into the mortar (between the bricks) using my biggest drill bit. I finally managed to get a small hole started but it does not seem to want to get bigger. I am worried that if I continue using the bit I have it will either break the bit or overheat my drill. The plug fits in only about 1/2 of the way. Do I need a special drill bit for mortar/concrete? If so, what do I ask for? How far does the plug have to go in before I put in the screw. And here is the dumbest question of all - the plug is pretty narrow at the bottom, (tapers to a point) and wider at the top. I don't see how it is going to stay in the drilled hole without falling out. Does something magical happen to the plug when the screw is put in? Thanks for any help you can pass along!

Old 01-08-01, 03:21 PM
Visiting Guest
Cool Anchors away!

Hi barb,

You are headed for failure. Plastic anchors and big postal mail boxes. Yikes! More importantly, you need a special type of drill bit called a masonry bit, AND even then, the bit diameter must be of the size specified for the plastic anchor as per the box that the anchors are packaged in.

Do this instead:

Go to Home Depot, where ever, look in the 'concrete fasteners' isle. Buy a box of blue colored concrete fasteners named TapCons. These puppies come with their own masonry bit that is sized for the screws you buy. Expect to spend around $5 or so. You drill a hole and screw in the screw. No anchor is required. Store the bit with the screws for the next time you need it. There is always another time.

They cost more, but it will make the job fool proof when it comes to mounting the mailbox solidly. Maybe a 1 1/2" or 2" screw should be fine to attach metal to brick. Hard to say for sure without seeing what your doing.

Regarding your old plastic anchors:
Your blue plastic anchors are hammered into precisely undersized drilled holes in hollow walls, then grip the screw for light weight applications. They will not hold your mailbox for very long. That is why I suggest TapCons.

Mark

Old 01-09-01, 11:55 AM
B
Smile drilling a hole in a concrete wall

Hi Mark,
Thanks so much for the information! I really had a bad feeling about the plug. The more I drilled, the less logical the plug seemed. I am off to home depot (our version here is reno depot) for the TapCons! I hope to have my shiny new mailbox up this weekend!
Barb

Old 01-14-01, 11:46 AM
B
Talking drilling a hole in a concrete wall

Mark Chapman
I got the TapCons as you suggested and they worked perfectly! It was easy and stress free. My new mailbox looks great! Thanks so much!
Barb

Old 01-14-01, 01:41 PM
Visiting Guest
Thank YOU!

Hi,

I rarely get reply like yours!

Thanks, made my day!!

Old 01-15-01, 07:52 AM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Just had to add, even if off the subject of this post, that Mark Chapman is one of DIY's finest. It's hard to believe anyone could be so versed in so many areas! Thanks Mark for all I've learned from you...Mike

Old 01-15-01, 11:14 AM
Visiting Guest
Speechless...

.....thank you!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: