Air compressor runs fine but guages register "0"-no out pressure

Old 03-14-12, 08:24 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Air compressor runs fine but guages register "0"-no out pressure

I have a Bostitch CAP60P-OF pancake compressor. It works fine as I have only used it a total of 6 hours. Worked fine yesterday, but this morning, I turned it on and waited for the compressor to shut off. Never did. The guages showed "0" and ther was not pressure at the hose. The drain valve has pressure. Need help.

Old 03-14-12, 08:55 PM
Group Moderator
Received 790 Votes on 727 Posts
My guess would be that something in the non-return valve is stuck open, so you aren't building up any pressure. You could try taking it apart, spray it, open and close the valve... might be a piece of gunk keeping it open.

When you say you have pressure in the tank at the drain valve... do you mean FULL pressure? If so, I'd check the regulator (pressure reducer). Screw it all the way shut... all the way open. Connect & disconnect hose... might be a piece of crud stuck.

If you are getting crud and have been working somewhere dirty or dusty you might want to change the filter.

Old 03-14-12, 09:09 PM
M
Actually, I am not sure that it was at full pressure at the drain valve.

Old 03-14-12, 09:17 PM
Group Moderator
Received 790 Votes on 727 Posts
When the non-return valve is stuck open (it's supposed to shut after the compressor runs a few seconds and it builds up enough pressure to throw the valve shut) air that is sucked into the air compressor just circulates instead of building up pressure in the tank.

You might also have a cut tube that leads away from this valve. They will sometimes break right below the compression fitting, and vent air, which might also act the same way as a non-return valve that is stuck open- (no pressure building up.) Check both ends of your pressure tubes.

Old 03-15-12, 08:40 PM
M
Low pressure...

I checked the smaller rubber hose from the tank to the regulator and I couldn't detect a leak. Also, after some more observation I noticed that the tank pressure would only clime to 18 psi then stay there. It seems that there is more air than usual coming out from under the motor cawling...not sure as both end of the armature have cooling vanes on it.
Thanks for your assistance thus far...

Old 03-16-12, 08:09 AM
A
First I'd have to ask.. With only minimal use time is it still under warranty? If not, it could be the flapper valve depending on the enviroment. Part number AB-9007012. The valve is fan shaped and could have one blade broken or bent. All it takes is a small piece of debris to be injested. I've seen this a few times in my shop.

Old 03-16-12, 06:11 PM
M
Unfortunatly, not under warranty. I took the head off and everything looks of except that on the inside of the head there are 3 holes and behind the holes looks and feels like a super thin metal disc and flexes when gently pushed. One of the holes (one closest to the outlet port) the film looks like it has a piece broken off. I looked at the parts breakdown and list and found a part #6 - Valve Plate Assembly and the part that looks to be partically missing is the center prong of that 3 pronged assembly. Could that be causing my problem?

Last edited by mcmar; 03-16-12 at 06:46 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: