Air Compressor woes

Old 03-16-12, 10:37 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Air Compressor woes

I have a Craftsman air compressor that builds pressure in the tank just fine. I can blow dirt off the garage floor and even run an air rachet.

The issue comes when I try to use the air rachet. It will not turn a botl. I cannot even inflate a car tire. Anything that requires pressure from the compressor will not work.

Could this be the regulator on it? Really need this back working.

Old 03-16-12, 11:16 AM
L
Not sure of the size of the compressor. I have a 32 gallon Craftsman that is just barely enough to inflate car tires. Many of these smaller machines do not provide enough steady pressure to run the smallest of tools, especially a spray gun or sander...............Larry

Old 03-16-12, 11:43 AM
P
I am not sure the tank size. I think it is a 26 gallon. It is rated for 150PSI max with 90PSI at 3.55scfm. It has pumped up the tires on many occasions up until this last time. That is why I think something is broke. It has ran frameing nail guns and grinders alot. I know the 26 gallon tank causes the motor to run more but it should have more than enough pressure for a car tire.

Just really confused at this point on it. I hate to buy a new one since this one is only about six years old. Should have lasted alot longer than I would think.

Old 03-16-12, 12:36 PM
M
If you can run other tools, but not the ratchet, the issue is with the ratchet, not the compressor. Perhaps you could describe what's happening..does air shoot right through it with no result or does it lack the torque to turn a bolt?

Old 03-16-12, 12:50 PM
P
What the issue is I can blow dirt from the garage floor fine and it will turn the ratchet. The issue with when I try to use it with something that requires pressure "Ie: the ratchet on a bolt or an adapter to inflate car tires" it will not work. There is plenty of pressure in the tank but it simply will not let the air out.

It almost seems like as long as there is no pressure to push back it works fine but as soon as something offers resistance it will not work.

Old 03-16-12, 01:09 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 361 Votes on 318 Posts
What does the air gauge say?

btw - welcome to the forums!

Old 03-16-12, 01:26 PM
P
It has two gauges. One for the tank and one that you use to set the pressure for the hose. Both are normal as far as where they are normally set at when I have used it in the past.

Edit: Thanks. sure glad I found this place. Extremely kind and helpful folks from what I have seen.

Old 03-16-12, 01:34 PM
M
I got it. Sounds like you have crud in the regulator, the line or the manifold. Pressure may be fine, but not enough volume is getting through. I'd remove the regulator altogether and try to run without it.

Old 03-16-12, 01:35 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
If the tank gauge is at 100 psi + the compressor should be working ok. If the regulator is set at at least 90 psi and you plug in a tool and pull the trigger - what does the gauge do? Have you ruled out any obstructions in the air hose?

Old 03-16-12, 01:58 PM
P
Double checked the hose. I figured it was clear since I usually leave both ends closed up to prevent such a thing from happening. I have not really looked at the gauge for the hose pressure while pulling the trigger on anything. I know when I use the air tool to blow off the garage floor it is full blast and works like always.

It just seems that when I have somethign that offers any kind of resistance on the end it has no pressure (ie: won't inflate a tire or turn a bolt with the rachet)
even with the tank over a 100psi and the hose gauge at 90psi. Yet I can turn around and go right back to blowing off the floor. That is why I am wondering if it is a seal or the regulator. I would think it would either work or not work.

Old 03-16-12, 02:03 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Have you tried bypassing the regulator as suggested in post #8?

Old 03-16-12, 02:06 PM
P
I plan to try that tonight when I get home. I'll let you know the results.

Old 03-16-12, 06:02 PM
P
Update:

I removed the regulator and it worked just fine. I then took the regulator apart and cleaned everything up and reoiled just a little with machine oil. Hooked it all back up and blew out the line to make sure no oil came thru. Running as good as ever.

Happy doityourselfer...Thanks to all.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: