Air Compresser - Storage Tank Idea

Old 03-16-12, 04:16 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Air Compresser - Storage Tank Idea

I had to replace the blue Well XTrol pressure tank on my water system (bad bladder).
But the tank is not that old, stainless steel and pretty strong, (tested to 150 psi).
Thought about cutting the top off, adding some wheels, a handle and using it as a firewood barrel / caddy / holder.

But I had another idea.

I have a Rigid twin tank air compressor in the garage.
I read that one should empty the tanks to purge the water that condenses in there so it doesn't rust. (and water does come out when I crack that valve back there)
But that means that I need to run the compressor anytime I need air. I don't use it often enough to keep air in it.
It's kind of loud to be running at 6am, just to add a few pounds to the motorcycle or car tire.

I'm thinking I can place the blue tank between the compressor and a retractable air hose reel, put a quarter turn ball valve on each side and have approx. 32 gallons of air on reserve. I would add a water filter to remove any water that might get thru. The tank is stainless so I'm not worried about draining it. And I can recharge it with air it when I wont bother the neighbors running the compressor.

It is tested at 150 psi.
It currently has a 75 psi relief valve.
I can dial down the air compressor to limit the max air going to the tank to further minimize a chance of a rupture.
I can connect directly to the compressor thru a second port when I need to use a nail gun at higher pressure.

With all of that in mind, assuming I can get the plumbing worked out, is there any reason why I shouldn't use the blue tank as an air reservoir?

(First time post, so sorry for rookie mistakes)

Old 03-16-12, 06:39 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
Generally speaking, unfired pressure vessels are tested to 1-1/2 times the designed working pressure and their design usually allows for a four-to-one safety factor before bursting. That would mean that your tank, pressure tested to 150 psi probably has a design working pressure of 100 psi and a burst pressure in excess of 400 psi. The internal bladder, however, is a different story.

Some expansion tanks have the bladder fill connection inside a standard size pipe coupling welded to the tank and if yours does then you should be able to install a plug and totally isolate the bladder. As long as you can do this I would not see anything wrong with what you propose.

HOWEVER, some states (Massachusetts is one) require ALL pressure vessels to have an ASME certification stamp and ASME certified safety valve. I don't know the laws in Maryland.

Old 03-17-12, 04:53 AM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
Even though your tank is stamped for a 150 psi test pressure it is designed and certified to contain water.
Water has considerably different properties than air and IMO would not be good to use for what you propose.

The air receiver tank on any compressor is specifically designed to control the cycling of the compressor.
It is not to increase or decrease the amount of air you have available as some believe or some makers promote.
One downside to increasing air volume is that compressors like what you have are limited on their run time and will have a spec for this..............they are not meant to run continuously.
If you install a larger tank and run it for an extended time the compressor could be damaged by overheating.

Old 03-17-12, 07:37 AM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you both for your comments.

I checked the ASME site and Amtrol does have a certificate.
I will check the actual tank to see if it also bears the stamp.
It is one of their top-of-the-line tanks.

I understand the concern about the compressor trying to charge the larger tank, and with regular use, that would be a concern. But considering how little air I would use and how infrequent I would use it, I may only need to recharge the tank once or twice a year.

Old 03-17-12, 04:01 PM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
ASME certification for your pneumatic tank means that the design is approved for its intended purpose which is to be installed in a plumbing system.
It does not mean that is suitable as a receiver for an air compressor.

The fact that you suggest you can dial down the pressure to prevent a rupture is a sign that you may already believe that there is the possibility of some type of problem.

I know that this is a diy forum but there are a few of us here that work with this stuff on a professional level and are bound to keep folks out of trouble.
The reality is that nothing bad would likely happen but if there is the slightest chance of a failure this type of experimentation could risk you or your families well being.

To me the firewood caddy is a much better idea!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: