Painting 1 Gallon's Worth Using a Grayco Ultra 395 Airless Sprayer

Old 04-23-12, 11:27 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Painting 1 Gallon's Worth Using a Grayco Ultra 395 Airless Sprayer

I have the above sprayer. Works fine when using a 5-gallon bucket. Has anyone any tips on how I could use it to paint out of a 1-gallon can? I have several dropped panel interior doors and a couple of louvred closet doors that I'd like to spray because whenever I use a brush I booger up the job.

And along those lines, is 50 feet the shortest hose available for airless sprayers? That's what the man who sold me the sprayer told me.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-12, 12:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 167 Votes on 148 Posts
You can get airless spray lines in 25' lengths but many airless pumps aren't designed to spray with a line shorter than 50' - I don't exactly know why but supposedly the pump won't work properly with too short of a spray line.

I don't think I've ever used that particular pump. Dose it have the rigid snout that comes down directly from the manifold? or does it have the snout with a flexible hose? Either way as long as the pickup is submerged in paint - it will work. The biggest danger when spraying out of a small container is you don't want the pump to run dry! That can eat the packings necessitating a rebuild You set the 1 gallon can down in the 5 gal bucket if that will help.

edit; I searched for that pump and the pic shows it having the flexible snout - you can either place the pickup directly into the gallon can [you may have to prop the snout to keep it in place] or set the gallon can inside of a 5 gallon bucket. I'd do the latter.

Old 04-24-12, 11:33 PM
Now why didn't I think of that... Gallon can in 5-gallon bucket, pickup hangs on lip of 5-gal bucket and goes into gallon can. Great!

That little piston pump is a real keeper!

Old 05-24-12, 02:58 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Don't mean to resurrect an old post, but I've got a couple of jobs coming up that I have to use a sprayer on ----I know, Mark, I don't paint!!!----but brushing stain on the cedar gable of a log home doesn't appeal to me. Priced the Graco's , and figured I'd have my guys brush it on Went by the local pawn shop yesterday and he had a Magnum DX that he wasn't sure ran. It was "OK" clean, but still a pig in a poke. Got him down to $65 for it. Cleaned it up, freed up the ball up in the main pick up and it is fantastic!! Can't wait to use it. Of course it will probably sit in the barn until I lose my senses again, but that's OK. I got a deal, and that's what matters. Ebay, the DX is almost $400.

Old 05-24-12, 04:56 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Larry, I don't know if you got a manual with the airless or not but you need to keep the pump lubricated. There is a small reservoir on the front of the pump [above the pickup tube] That's where you fill it with throat seal. Different brands call it by different names but most anyone at the paint store should know what you need.

Never ever run the pump dry - you'll tear up the pump. It is fixable but no need to go there
Also the stain should be back brushed or rolled to work the stain into the wood. I like to spray it, backroll with a 1" or 1.5" roller cover and then spray again. That way I get the longest lasting job and keep my reputation good

One other thing, unless using the airless again shortly, always pump a little bit of paint thinner thru the system after clean up - that displaces the water so nothing can rust.

Old 05-24-12, 08:34 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Great advice, as usual. On the last note, I noticed HD sells a lubricant that can be run through it sort of like Stabil for a lawnmower. Necessary? Or do you think a petroleum based thinner would do the trick? I'll look into the throat seal and look for the filler in the morning.

Old 05-25-12, 05:16 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I've always made my final rinse with mineral spirits or sometimes kerosene. I think they make an additive that can be used but I never have used it. I leave the spray line and gun hooked up to the pump w/thinner but relieve the pressure. The last time I used my airless was to paint a church and even though the pump hadn't been used for over a year - it worked fine. You should flush out the thinner with water before switching to latex paint/stain.

Old 07-13-14, 08:59 AM
Cool Spraying stain outside?

Spraying stain outside is a bad idea. One thing you should keep in mind when spraying stains "anywhere" is that it caries a LONG LONG way. Unlike paint, stains are very liquid and take a long time to dry, even in suspension in the air. For example, painting a ceiling with a sprayer, most latex paints will be dry before it hit the ground. Well, stains on the other hand, will not, and the stuff in nearly impossible to clean up.

If you do spray stains outside, lower your pressure, try to do it on a very dry day and pay attention of the wind direction.

As for storage, I use antifreeze in my hose and pump, it has an anti corrosion agents and it keeps your seals lubricated. I usually save it and reuse it over and over. And my packings last ridiculously long "many years".

Old 07-13-14, 10:41 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums Steve!

You bring up a good point about overspray. Over the yrs I've sprayed a good bit of exterior stain and the main thing is to be mindful of where the overspray might go, actually you should be aware of where the overspray will go no matter what material or substrate you are spraying. Spraying can save a lot of time but you must factor in the labor it will take to either contain or cleanup from spraying. Sometimes it makes more sense to not spray and use a brush or roller instead!

It's been my observation that how long packings last has a lot to do with the type and volume of material sprayed. Lubricration and not letting the pump dry also play a part in packing life.