Loose miter saw blade

Old 05-31-12, 08:55 AM
D
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loose miter saw blade

Hello, I have a Craftsman 10" compound miter saw for light duty work around the house and the blade is loose. It "wobbles" for lack of a better word. I have tried to tighten numerous times to no avail, all that happens is the blade rattles and is extremely loud and obviously incapable fo cutting straight. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated? I know how to change the blade and lock it, etc, but can't seem to keep the blade/cut straight anymore. Do I need to try a new blade or buy a new saw? So frustrating as it should be an easy fix, but now im reaching out... Thank you!

Old 05-31-12, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The blade is tight...but is it flat? When you spin it by hand with a fixed reference point does it get closer and further away from the reference? Or take the blade off and use a straightedge across the surface at multiple points. If it's carbide tipped is it missing any teeth?

You have the washers on the shaft correctly? Back washer, blade, front washer, bolt?

If everything above is ok...then I'd have to think the bushings or bearings in the motor have worn.

Pull the blade and check for any looseness or play in the shaft.

Old 05-31-12, 09:25 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,702 Likes on 1,521 Posts
First, is the blade loose or warped or bent? There is nothing you can do with a warped or bent blade except replace it.

You might have the wrong blade or are missing a piece in the arbor. Some blades have larger holes and some arbors have an insert that snugly fits into the blade's hole. There may be an inner washer and outer "washer" that holds the blade in place. These washers have a flat or star pattern that prevents it from rotating on the saw's shaft. Then a bold with backwards threads holds everything in place.

Old 05-31-12, 09:39 AM
D
It does not get closer/farther fro,m the reference point and is not missing any teeth. I took the original blade off and put a concrete blade on to help my brother with something, now when I put the original blade on Im having problems... thats what I get for helping my brother! haha, I will pull the blade and check for any looseness in the shaft this afternoon.
Maybe I mixed up the washers or something, but I dont think so.
Thank you.

Old 05-31-12, 09:46 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,702 Likes on 1,521 Posts
I bet you're missing a spacing washer. I have some blades that need it and some don't. It snugly fits into the hole in the saw blade reducing it's size to fit the saw's shaft. Sometimes it stays stuck in the blade when you remove it but pops off and rolls across the floor when you set the blade down.

Old 05-31-12, 09:59 AM
Super Moderator
PD...I've never seen reducer on a 10" blade....I thought they all used a 5/8" arbor? I do remember seeing them on circ saw blades...I think...

Old 05-31-12, 10:00 AM
D
I definitely have the spacing washer, which has rolled across the garage floor a few times, I was thinking maybe Im missing something else like one the other washers

Old 05-31-12, 10:09 AM
Super Moderator
This doesn't really matter...but a concrete blade? What the heck were you cutting with a miter saw that needed a concrete blade? I'm assuming you mean an abrasive blade?

Old 05-31-12, 10:20 AM
D
Haha, apparently I was trying to break my saw! Yes, I put a concrete abrasive blade on to try and cut though a paver rather than using a diamond blade or brick cutter (or mallet and chisel!) ...

Old 05-31-12, 04:29 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Concrete blade on a miter saw Is there nothing sacred??? Concrete guys have their own set of tools. Tell your brother you have a "wood" cutting saw, not a grinder. Hopefully you haven't messed up the bearings in it. Also, make sure the inner washer is sitting flat against the boss on the output shaft of the motor.
Concrete blade in a miter saw................OK, I'll quit.

Old 05-31-12, 05:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,641 Likes on 1,469 Posts
Yeah, if the blade is assembled properly then I would assume that cutting w/ the concrete blade either bent something or burnt up a bearing.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: