Compressor Motor Trips circuit Breaker

Old 06-05-12, 03:25 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Compressor Motor Trips circuit Breaker

I have a DeVilbiss Model PRF 5020-WK 20 Gal/5HP air compressor that trips the 20 amp circuit breaker at start up. Motor runs for a few seconds then trips circuit breaker. Motor is the GE unit that came with the compressor. 1 phase -115 volts. I have done the following without solving the problem:

No extension cord used.
Replaced the start capacitor.
Removed the check valve from the pump and cleaned. Also disconnected it so the pump would run without pressure.
Checked motor wiring connections.

Believe it is something in the motor as all else seems to be working properly.

Any thoughts?

Old 06-05-12, 04:41 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
If it is running, then trips out, you must have a load causing it, or a brush/armature failure. Do you smell anything like burned wires, etc? Have you disconnected the pump physically from the motor and just run the motor? Have you changed the breaker? They go bad, too.

Old 06-05-12, 09:32 PM
J
Thanks for the speedy reply.

First off Chandler, I see you are a Calvin And Hobbes fan. I like you already. When Bill Waterson stopped writing Calvin and Hobbes I quit reading the comics. His strip was one of the all time best.

Pretty sure not the breaker as it trips the breaker at another electrical service also. I will see if I can get the motor to run without the pump "attached" and get back with the results.

Old 06-06-12, 05:33 PM
J
Compressor motor tripping circuit breaker

Disconnected the pump to run the motor with no load and it still fails.

Could it be the starting circuit that is staying open? If so how would one test for this? Any other possibilities you can think of? Any help would be appreciated.

P.S. If you don't have a copy of The Complete Calvin and Hobbes 3 book set it is worth the $$$$$$.

Last edited by Tolyn Ironhand; 06-06-12 at 07:48 PM. Reason: removed link. No advertising.
Old 06-08-12, 08:06 AM
M
I think you are on the right track. You may have a faulty or stuck centrifugal switch in that motor. This would definitely overload the starting windings amp-wise, causing the breaker to pop. It may be dirt or wear, but you'll have to take the front (I think) plate off the motor to find out for sure.

Old 06-08-12, 09:52 AM
J
Smile Ignorance is no excuse. Neither is not reading forum rules.

My apology for not being more careful about reading forum rules before posting. Thank you for correcting my error.

Old 08-16-12, 10:53 AM
B
Could also be that the 5 hp motor is pulling more than 20 amps. that motor might be better running on 240. i couldn't find the specs for the compressor but it might be ok. it just needs more power (3-4 kw). depending on the load, probably more than 20 amps at 120v. assuming 75% efficiency, 20 amps would get you only about 2.5 hp. check the plate and see what amps it draws and if 20 isn't enough, you might have to check the manual and run it on 240.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: