Looking to buy an air compressor

Old 06-23-12, 01:15 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Looking to buy an air compressor

I have been searching for a compressor for a little while did a little bit of reading from the sticky about air compressors to about-air-compressors.com.

What I am looking for is something with 7+ cfm at 90 psi on 115v to run a impact gun and sanders maybe a spray gun from time to time. I have been looking at 5 (4 on one link and 1 on another link).

Comparing 4 Items| Northern Tool + Equipment
and
2061V BelAire 2-HP 60-Gallon Single-Stage Air Compressor

I like the Quincy one the most but the Belaire one has 60 gallons and around the same CFM rating, but I did read that gallons didn't really mean anything when reading the air compressor information sticky so what gives? Any advice is welcomed and I would like to thank everyone for there help in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-12, 04:42 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Gallons mean almost everything when it comes to doing what you plan. You must have VOLUME and the only way to maintain it is with a large tank. I am assuming you don't really need the portability of the smaller compressors, or you wouldn't be entertaining the 60 gallon. Definitely go big. I don't know the BelAire brand, nor who makes them, or if parts are available. HD sells the Campbell Hausfeld 60 gallon for about the same final price and you don't have to pay their freight and liftgate fees ($125). CH is a good brand, parts available, and they make most other brands as well.

Old 06-23-12, 04:51 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 260 Votes on 230 Posts
CFM is important but the bigger tank helps to support high cfm tools like sanders and paint guns. I've never heard of the BelAire brand either. I bought my 60 gal DeVilbiss at Lowes about 20 yrs ago, not sure what brands they carry now.

Old 06-24-12, 12:36 AM
M
Gallons mean gallons, no trick. It's just not enough to go on when buying, but on a good design the pump and motor output will be matched to the tank size. You would not want a tiny pump on a silo receiver, same as you wouldn't want a huge pump hooked to a tiny tank. One would mean extended run time, the other - short cycling. That said, it seems the BelAire unit is mismatched and would take a long time to pressurize. Of course, they never give you this information, only the inflated horse power rating.

Old 06-24-12, 04:28 AM
D
Tools like sprayers and sanders need long periods of continuous air flow. Something like and impact wrench doesn't. So if you need to provide air to a sprayer or sander, look for a pump that can supply enough CFM. Even the big tanks will run out of air quickly when using one of those tools.

Old 06-24-12, 07:48 AM
A
Thank you for the strong response!

The comment on the sticky that had me question gallons was...
"A larger tank will give you a very small amount of "extra" air but this extra air will be depleted as soon as the compressor starts.
The main purpose of an air tank is to minimize the on/off cycles of the compressor pump, now it is also used as a marketing gimmick." But I'm glad to see it isn't a trick, less to be confused about.

I feel like 7cfm is enough to keep me happy but I don't really know, and thats why I am here. The think I will be using it most for is for car work so impact gun, tire inflating, some cutting of sheet metal(damn rust). As well I will be moving all my other tools for wood to air, or so I hope. What would you think would be enough cfm to run a sander and sprayer. Some for the sprayers I have seen were around 6cfm so I was thinking 7 should be enough unless there is something I am missing?

I would like to sick with 115v but I think I have a plug for for 230v... I just don't know for sure. I have a plug for a AC wall unit that is no longer used it is a strange plug that is why I would like to use 115v but it I have to I will look into that plug to get 230v.

Old 06-24-12, 09:14 AM
A
I have looked into the "strange" plug it looks like it is two 15amp circuits tied together for 230 volts so I guess it is 230 volts at 15 amps.... as well the Belaire seems to have a lot of good reviews but I like pumas as well since there a little less and review good.

Old 06-24-12, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Just to be sure....look at this chart and see what the specs are for your outlet.

btw...the standard for household voltage in the US is 120 and 240. The terms 115 and 230 are pretty outdated.

Old 06-24-12, 10:26 AM
D
I feel like 7cfm is enough to keep me happy but I don't really know, and thats why I am here. The think I will be using it most for is for car work so impact gun, tire inflating, some cutting of sheet metal(damn rust). As well I will be moving all my other tools for wood to air, or so I hope. What would you think would be enough cfm to run a sander and sprayer. Some for the sprayers I have seen were around 6cfm so I was thinking 7 should be enough unless there is something I am missing?
You have to look at the specs for the tools. If you want to move all your tools to air, you will be needing something large. Count on needing to use a 240v connection.

Old 06-24-12, 06:44 PM
A
I know that 115 and 230 is out dated I just felt more comfortable using those ratings because that is what a lot of the compressors are rated with thats all.

I saw that the more expensive tools use lower CFM, is that normally true? I think the most I would ever need is a single stage 240 pump.

I have looked into a chart that list tool usage and it on the list it seems to me that 7 or 8 CFM is more just good enough(yes I know you can never have enough).

here is the list:
Air Tools and Air Consumption

I would just like to thank you guys so far with the help. I will look into the plug chart, all I know that in my breaker box the switch for that circuit is 2 15 amp switches that have been put together and it is 240 volts.

Old 06-24-12, 07:22 PM
A
Since I am going with 240v I think I am going to go with this one for the price it looks great
Puma Belt-Drive Stationary Vertical Air Compressor 60-Gallon Vertical, 3 HP, 12 CFM, Model# PK6060V | 10 - 20 CFM| Northern Tool + Equipment

Any suggestions or comments about the Puma brand? I see nothing but good reviews for any of their models, but I do remember reading that it is a bad brand or something negative last month but see nothing supporting that. I kinda feel like I am cheeping out since it is cheaper then the 26 gallon Quincy.

Old 06-25-12, 03:25 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
I've heard nothing bad about the Puma brand, and the specs look good. What looks even better is "Made In USA"......

Old 06-25-12, 04:39 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 260 Votes on 230 Posts
I saw that the more expensive tools use lower CFM, is that normally true?
Yes, the better built tools have less air leakage which reduces the cfm needed.

Old 06-30-12, 08:36 PM
A
Thanks for the help guys tomorrow I drive to a puma dealer to see if they have what I want in stock