Is there any way of converting a Ryobi TS1352 to a radial arm saw?

Old 08-05-12, 01:35 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is there any way of converting a Ryobi TS1352 to a radial arm saw?

This is in my modest little home shop, I'm not a company or anything, sometimes I just like to make stuff for around the house, and I don't know anything near what I'd like to know, about how to do it.

I have a Ryobi TS1352 laser saw that I got from Home Depot a couple of years ago, with some kind of vehicle table with wheels, that I mounted it on. The whole thing only cost about $150 if I recall.

I love the thing for making accurate small cuts, but just went to do some cuts that were longer than about 5" and it doesn't do that. I guess a radial arm saw is what can do that? You can cut a good length in your own direction, and you can even turn it at 90 degrees and run a very long piece of wood through it accurately, with a frame to hold it so it slides through uniformly?

Is there any way of converting this one so it can do that, or is it just not worth it? It looks like it only turns at 45 degrees, for miter type work.

If not, no big problem, I see radial arm saws used on Craig's for under $100, or maybe I could look at one at Home Depot.

Old 08-05-12, 02:34 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
I would go with plan B on craigslist. Trying to convert a tool into something it wasn't meant to be can be dangerous. If cutting wider boards is your problem, rather than RAS, look into a compound miter slide saw. Yeah a little pricey but you can find them, too for a song sometimes.

Old 08-05-12, 05:38 PM
M
Thanks Chandler. What does "compound miter slide saw" mean? Something like I have, but that will turn 90 degrees and you can slide pieces sideways through it?

Not sure what the difference would be, between that and a radial arm saw.

Old 08-05-12, 06:13 PM
"Compound" means it not only miters, but bevels, too. In other words the head will swivel right and left and will lay over to about 45 degrees (most likely only to the left) . Look up Dewalt sliding saw and see what I mean. The head not only moves up and down, but slides on dual rails allowing you to cut really wider boards. I have a Makita fixed to a run off table with the blade reversed that allows for the cutting of vinyl siding. I could reconvert it for wood, but I have a 12" dual bevel miter in Ridgid with an offset motor, so I'm good for 90% of my jobs.

Old 08-05-12, 06:36 PM
M
Oh ok, I thought that was what a radial arm saw did - slide forward and back, to cut wide pieces, but I could be wrong. It would also be nice if it could rotate and lock at 90 degrees, so you could slide long pieces through it. I just don't exactly know what you call what I mean.

Ahh, here we go. How to use a Radial Arm Saw - YouTube
This is exactly what I had in mind. Being able to cross cut over a good sized area, and what he calls "ripping" at 90 degrees the long way, against an edge.

Old 08-05-12, 07:57 PM
You will be limited to 12" rips with a RAS. It will take up quite a bit more floor space than the sliding miter, and is definitely not portable. In order to do proper rips, a table saw is your tool. I have table, miter, RAS, and use them all, but only to their own limitations. I never rip on the RAS.

Old 08-05-12, 08:03 PM
M
Hey look at the reviews on this one, and the price:

Amazon.com: Hitachi C10FCE2 10-Inch Compound Miter Saw: Home Improvement

Last edited by Melissa2012B; 08-05-12 at 08:32 PM.
Old 08-06-12, 04:05 AM
You can only cut 2x6's with that saw, so you are limited. Try looking at this for an example, since it slides and is a little easier on the pocket book than the $600 Dewalt/Bosch/Milwaukee 13 Amp 10 in. Sliding Compound Miter Saw with Laser-TSS101L at The Home Depot

Old 08-06-12, 12:15 PM
M
Oh yeah, I was searching for "sliding" but it apparently was giving me results that weren't sliding types. Darn search tools.

Thanks Chandler, you got me on the right track.

This is a wonderful do-it-yourself forum with great people in it, and I appreciate it that you guys don't treat me like I'm an "idiot woman", just because I don't know some things yet!

So can that one be turned and locked at 90 degrees to split really long boards?

Sounds really cool!

Old 08-06-12, 12:42 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Miter saws can't be turned 90 degrees to rip boards. As was stated....the best tool for that is normally a table saw. Don't confuse a RAS (radial arm saw) with a sliding miter saw.

My Dad was kind of a wood worker back in the 50s and 60s....he never owned a table saw...just an old Craftsman RAS. He rarely ripped any wood though. Back then there was no such thing as a power miter saw.

Nowadays....I'd guess 98% of casual woodworkers do just fine without a RAS. Between a power miter saw and a table saw...I can't imagine any cut you couldn't make.

Btw....even a cheap table saw will do what most people need...and I don't think there is such a thing as a cheap RAS.

Old 08-06-12, 01:32 PM
M
Ok thanks Gunguy! Appreciate the help, everybody!

Old 08-06-12, 01:37 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I never bought a circular saw I couldn't get a rip guide for. 75% of my ripping I did could be with that rip guide. Another 24% of ripping wider things could be done using a 96" aluminum rip guide with built in clamps. For the rest I used an improvised rip guide. Of course straight cuts and miter cuts with a 12" miter saw. For those between to wide for the miter saw and 12" I used an adjustable angle 12" speed square as a guide for my circular saw. Cross cuts larger wider then 12" I use the rip guide and my circular saw.

Space counts when everything has to be hauled with you and I found I could even do cabinet work without a radial arm saw or a table saw. Of course sometimes that involved field made jigs.

Old 08-06-12, 03:51 PM
M
Thanks Ray.

Well I think I'm gonna keep the TS1372 laser miter saw we have, and just get a decent modestly priced table saw. That should do anything I want to do. Thanks guys!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: