Which chainsaw sharpening wheel???

Old 10-06-12, 10:08 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Which chainsaw sharpening wheel???

Gentlemen I hope someone can give me a straight answer. I have been getting 2 different answers. I have a northern tool chop saw style electric chainsaw sharpener. The chain I use is a Stihl 26RS 74. .325" chain. My Sthil dealer says use a 1/8 wheel, another Stihl dealer says use the 3/16 wheel. I called the Stihl factory and they say 3/16 also. In my northern tool manual they spesify for my brand chain and model 1/8 wheel. Man I am confused. please help.

Old 10-06-12, 11:06 AM
G
I use a 3/16" file for my .325 chains. Since I sharpen all my own chains with a file, I am unfamiliar with your sharpener.
It would be my first guess that your sharpener is China made and that could be the difference in opinion. Likewise the dealer that said 1/8", may sell this sharpener also, and is basing his suggestion on the included instructions.
I am assuming that the wheel thickness is 1/8" and 3/16"??
I would go with the 3/16"
Just remember, I have never used an electric sharpener and therefore am not familiar with their wheel construction dimensions.
I might also add that on occasion, I have had chains sharpened with a grinder but they did no perform as well as my hand sharpened ones. Plus they removed far to much material.
Of course I realise that many people are not capable of hand sharpening, but I have sharpened many and have the advantage of being a retired Tool&Die Maker.

Last edited by Giles; 10-06-12 at 11:33 AM.
Old 10-06-12, 11:26 AM
B
thanks, and yes the wheel radius is 1/8" and 3/16" thats in question

Old 10-06-12, 11:42 AM
G
I hope this doesn't further confuse you, but after thinking about what I typed, I mistakenly stated wheel radius and it should have been thickness.
I edited my post accordinagly.
I am stating that a file diameter of 3/16 is .187. The radius would be 1/2 that or .0935
Not trying to get techinal just explaining the only way I know how.

Old 10-06-12, 01:29 PM
B
Yes your right the thickness is what I need. One dealer just told me they use a 3.8mm thickness wheel. I looked it up and can not convert over to american measurements

Old 10-06-12, 02:05 PM
G
One mm ----- .03937"
Therefore you can multiply 3.8 x .03937 and you get 0.149606 or roughly .150"
3/16" is .187"
5/32" is 0.1575
1/8" is .125
So 3/16" is closer to 3.8 mm then is 1/8"
When in a pinch, I have used a 5/32" dia. file in place of a 3/16"
5/32" would be 0.1575 which is the closest to 3.8mm.
I have never heard or considered using a 1/8" file

Old 10-06-12, 02:18 PM
W
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Shows how behind the times I am. I didn't even know chainsaw sharpening power tools existed.

I used to cut cordwood every winter and I never used anything but a couple of small handfiles. Sharpening was done at the site. I think the only filing I did in the shop was on rakers. I'm assuming the sharpener has some sort of stop device to keep from wearing the chain down prematurely.

To solve your problem I would match a round file of a known diameter to the existing radius of the chain teeth.

Old 10-06-12, 05:44 PM
B
so far it looks like i will use the 3/16

Old 10-06-12, 07:30 PM
B
also I was wondering, regarding my chain which is a chisel chain, do you all recommend the 25 degree setting or the 30? and is the 10 percent off set on the right and left cutter necessary. Thanks

Old 10-07-12, 04:50 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts

Hello bowmanmt. Welcome to our Do-It-Yourself Web Site and the Tools, Sharpening and Power Machinery Topic.

Asking advice all to often gets you confusing information. Happens all the time and in every skill trade. Best advice would be to read the sharpening machine owners manual and the chain manufacturers recommended information for each specific chain type and size. Regardless of where the machinery was made.

Since I have been sharpening for more then 25+ years, I do not have any machinery made outside of the USA. All American made machines and supplies. Every chain sharpening machine I have and all the instructional manuals for them and the training manuals obtained in vocational sharpening schools say for a chain size of .325 the 1/8" wheel thickness is the correct size. Depth gauge is .025 Rotate chain holding Vise plate to angle of 35 degrees.

By eye the surfaced (dressed) wheel needs to fit the chains pitch. And of course not come into contact with the depth gauge ahead of it. Once grinding wheel is shaped to match existing chains angles, grinding down only enough to clean out the chip lifter beneath the 2 cutting surfaces (vertical and horizontal) tooth angels. Grind off no more then necessary to clean up the cutting teeth's 2 cutting surfaces removing only a little material at a time.

Use a slightly larger wheel then the 1/8" shaped to match raker angle. Racker is the part / section raised up in front of the tooth. Rotate sharpening machines vise to zero in the center hole of the support plate and tighten it down. Then shape a grinding wheel to match the racker tooths angle. Remove only enough material to lower racker to .025 below cutter tooth.

To determine depth, lay a flat blade on two or more teeth. Then use a feeler gauge between flat blade and racker. Grind off only enough top of racker surface to obtain correct depth gauge depth. To little the chain will make saw dust of the cuttings. To much (to low) removed from racker top and the chain will strain the engine making cutting difficult, over heat and stretch the chain to much. Correctly set depth gauge depth makes chips of the wood. Not saw dust....

Hope the above provides all the correct detailed info you requested. And is fully explained and understood....

Accurate Power Equipment Company. Complete Saw and Tool Sharpening Services.

Trail & Errors, Practice & Patience creates perfect results.
Reminder: "Work Shop Safety Is No Accident."

Sharpeners Quote:
"I can sharpen almost anything, except a dull mind."...

Personal Quote:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely. "The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 10-07-12, 05:16 AM
B
Yes it is confusing, Sthil says use a 3/16. but many pros like yourself say use the 1/8. Thanks for the advise,

Old 10-07-12, 07:35 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts

Additional info. For web sites pertaining to chain sharpening, do a web search. Key words are chainsaw sharpening or saw chain sharpening. Reminder. We are not sharpening the chainsaw. Only the chain...

Regarding a common complaint, the chain always cuts at an angle....... The cause is the result of the bar rails being uneven. Notice the heights of the guide rails on either side of the bar. Chain removed. If one side is higher then the other side being lower, the primary cause is user error. Bar must be and remain totally vertical during cutting. Not angled.

Solution: Bar rails must be ground level. Special machine to properly obtain a level surface of/for both sides of the bars rails. Machine used is a bar rail grinder. Once both sides of the rails are leveled, the chain will cut evenly and straight just like new...

Sharpeners Quote:
"I can sharpen almost anything, except a dull mind nor sharpen your whits."...

Old 10-07-12, 10:45 AM
B
what is your opinion on the 10 percent offset for the chisel chain, right and left cutters.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: