Hollowing and boring brass and plastic

Old 12-07-12, 09:48 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Halton, good you mentioned that, it means I was on the right track. Because since I have no space in my garage, I was looking at this:
Amazon.com: Black & Decker WM425 Workmate 425 350-Pound Capacity Portable Workbench: Home Improvement

Old 12-07-12, 10:12 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 361 Votes on 318 Posts
I suppose you could build a wood platform/base to bolt the drill press to. That would give you a bigger foot print on the floor and should make the drill press more stable.

Old 12-10-12, 09:45 PM
A
Hey guys, after assembling the drill press, I realize the table plate of the drill press has a center hole. I guess this is if you want the drill all the way through your piece, your bit can then go through the hole. But for my purpose of drilling cyclinder bars, and not needing to drill all the way through, we were discussing drill press vises to hold my part.

But I thought of something after seeing that hole in the center of the table plate. Couldn't I get a big/thick piece of wood, or even stack a bunch of tiles under the table plate. Put my piece on top of it, lower the table plate so the hole is lined up with the my piece which also already has a starting hole. Lock the table plate. Then drill through the hole? Can you guys picture that? What I'm describing is that my piece is UNDER the table plate. I have set it up exactly what I just described. It feels stable with the table locked, theoretically it should work... But I have not dared to actually drilled it yet. Will wait to see if any of you will chastise me for this idea, or tell me to go for it. LOL!

My first time with this machine, so I'm kinda nervous. I'm imagining all sorts of dangerous scenarios with tools and objects like the movie Final Destination. LOL!

Old 12-11-12, 03:18 AM
D
So what is the purpose of drilling through that hole?

Old 12-11-12, 05:12 AM

The "table plate" is likely cast steel and has a rough finish underneath.

That hole is not machined.....it will not have any accuracy for centering your piece.

And....more than likely.....your piece will spin because of a lack of clamping force.

Old 12-12-12, 12:59 AM
A
OMG!!!!!!!!! Where have you been all my life drill press??? If someone would have told me that my 30 minute work with a dremel would only take 2 seconds with a drill press, I would have asked how expensive is this machine? $500 to a $1000? I cannot believe my drill press cost less than $100.

Well, I started drilling folks and I am stoked!! Everything has worked out. I knew nothing about drill presses, but I had a sneaking suspicion that it would be more efficient than my dremel. Still, I had my doubts. What could a $100 machine do? I figure it would drill it, but I would still have to clean up with my dremel or something. But that's not the case. It takes two seconds for a job and produces nice smooth holes. The work does not seem strenuous to the machine either.

I want to thank everyone for your advice. This machine is no longer foreign to me. I still need to find the perfect bit to refine my drilling skills. From the vise, to the table plate, to the length of the bit, all of them don't always work well together. I still think it's taking too much calculation on my part. My step and twist bits both work fine, but they're not the perfect length for me.

For example, if any of you know of a step bit that's 9/16 or 1/2 at its widest, but with fewer steps, like say half an inch overall for the entire bit. Does such a step bit exist? I got a step bit with 1/2 at its widest, but it would have 6 steps starting at 3/16.. it's too long. I need it nice and short with the widest bottom at 1/2 or 9/16.

Old 12-12-12, 01:24 AM
A
A bit question... What are SILVER AND DEMING BITS?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: