Air Compressor leaking ari

Old 01-11-13, 04:16 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Air Compressor leaking ari

I just bought a Craftsman 4 gallon Pancake air compressor. This is the first air compressor I've owned. Is is normal for air to leak out around the "quick disconnect" where the air line goes in. I took it out of the box and the first time I turned it on, it leaks. The man at Sears said that almost everyone he's seen does this. Looks like they would have an "O" ring good enough to stop the air. Looks like this would make the compressor cycle on and off more than necessary. Thanks for your help.

Old 01-11-13, 04:34 PM

Like anything else....there are varying quality standards with quick connect fittings.
Some are better than others when it comes to "seepage".

But....they tend to leak only when you have something connected.....and more so after much use when they wear out. If your fitting leaks with no hose attached then I would exchange the compressor with a new one. At a minimum.....it should not leak on it's own.....and they should at least replace the fitting with a new one.

Old 01-11-13, 04:44 PM
S
Thanks for the quick reply. No it doesn't leak until I plug my air hose into it, but it's brand new and never been used. I'm sure it won't hurt anything, other than making the compressor work more, but it's just the fact that it is brand new and never been used and leaks when I take it out of the box. Thanks again...

Old 01-11-13, 04:50 PM

It should be a vary small leak only....and sometimes you can simply twist the connected hose slightly and it stops leaking. Try putting a couple of drops of oil into the fitting to lubricate the o-ring....it may provide a better seal.

Old 01-11-13, 04:55 PM
Group Moderator
Received 773 Votes on 714 Posts
The quality of fittings is going downhill and its hard to find a good one that won't leak. Truthfully it could be either half of the connection... male or female. I would replace the male fitting first, and if it doesn't help replace the female one with one of the quick-connect style.

Old 01-11-13, 05:11 PM
S
Thanks again. I'll try the oil then leave it at that. No big deal. I just get flabbergasted when something don't work the way it's suppose to. I'll get over it Just noticed my blunder when naming my thread. I really can spell "air"

Old 01-12-13, 06:56 AM
Super Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
Another possibility is that your compressor came with a universal female connector.
This type will allow a few different styles of male connectors to fit but tend to be a bit sloppy.

Your paperwork may say if this is so.

Old 01-15-13, 07:43 PM
N
As Greg/H stated, a problem with the female coupler installed.
"I" (foolishly) bought a 5 pack from Harbor Freight, they fit, & couple together,
But leak air !
I would suggest buying a matching set(male & female)from the local auto parts store

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: