Need an opinion about a table saw on/off switch

Old 02-03-13, 06:21 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need an opinion about a table saw on/off switch

This is an old discontinued Sears Craftsman table saw model with a 220 electric motor. I'm pretty sure my on/off switch went out and they don't have a replacement part for it since this model was discounted. This is what happened - I was using the saw today and as I turned the saw off, it made an electric shorting popping sound in the switch, and it wouldn't come back on. I disconnected the switch and bypassed it by wiring it direct and plugged the saw up and it came on and ran fine. I unplugged it pretty quick because I didn't want to hurt anything (wasn't sure). Anyway, I need to find another switch that will safely operate my 220 saw.

It doesn't have a starting winding that I know of.

Thanks very much for any help.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-13, 07:23 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
If it is a stock switch, the same switch is used on 120 volt as well as 240 volt applications. The difference is in the motor "peckerhead" where the jumpers are changed to switch from one voltage to the other. All I did to mine was change the plug so it would plug into a 240 volt receptacle. Check this one out to see if it is comparable. Craftsman Table Saw Rail Mount Safety Switch EXC Cond w Key Free Fast s H | eBay

Old 02-03-13, 09:33 PM
Group Moderator
Received 73 Votes on 65 Posts
Chandlers option is fine, but any switch, or start/stop switch (rated for the load and voltage) will work just fine. Here is another, cheaper, option: Delta Rockwell Band Saw Push Button Switch Table Saw Shaper Sander | eBay

Old 02-03-13, 09:46 PM
It looks exactly like mine. So, there's no difference in the 120 and 240? that sounds to easy.

Old 02-04-13, 05:23 AM
Nope, a switch is a switch. All it is doing is breaking the hot legs rendering the voltage to the motor "off". IIRC, it is set up as a DPST switch to where it breaks both the neutral and hot on the 120 volt application and both hots on the 240 volt application.

Old 02-04-13, 07:12 PM
I recommend a magnetic switch. If the power goes off during operation, the magnetic switch will automatically go back to the off position.

Old 05-02-14, 10:44 PM
I have a Powermatic Model 63 table saw that the switch sometimes works, and sometimes does not. I removed the switch, and re-bent the contact rockers inside and the switch seems fine mechanically and electrically now. I replaced it putting the wires where I thought they came from. Plugged it in, flipped the switch, and popped the panel breaker, and got a puff of smoke from the switch area. I disassembled again and found exposed and broken wires. I will repair that tomorrow.
My question is did I damage the motor starting capacitor? Can that be checked by wiring it directly to the outlet?
And, when I reinstall the switch, should the connections be black to black and white to white when the switch is flipped on? (4 pole switch) The motor is jumped for 220VAC.
When I got the saw it was wired for 110 VAC. All I did was switch the jumper in the motor. No changes were made to the switch wiring.

Old 05-03-14, 04:19 AM
Welcome to the forums. You may want to post a picture of the inside of the switch so we can see what you see.

Old 05-03-14, 11:30 AM
I checked the switch and it is making and breaking both poles fine. I just would like to know if the switch should be wired so that both whites are on one side (left) and the blacks are on the other (right). Meaning I would essentially be breaking a white wire and be breaking a black wire with one throw of the switch.

Would post a pic, but the switch has been reassembled. The right poles make/break, and the left poles make/break. There is no continuity between lefts and rights.

Old 05-03-14, 11:43 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Yes, you want to break both sides. See Larry's post 5.