replacing drill press chuck

Old 03-11-13, 12:07 PM
H
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
replacing drill press chuck

I have been given a 1983HK , Sterling Industrial Machines bench drill press, model 926. It runs excellent and looks well taken care of or used little. The problem is that the chuck is missing. The spec plate indicate a 1/2 in. chuck. I am not familiar with replacing drilll chucks or where to find the correct chuck. appreciate any assistance.

Old 03-11-13, 12:14 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,178 Likes on 1,136 Posts
Welcome to the forums. I moved your question into its own thread, you'll get more visibility this way.

Old 03-11-13, 12:31 PM
A
Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
In the quill, the vertical shaft that the chuck attaches to, is there a slot? If so, your chuck is attached by a morse taper; a long tapered shaft on the chuck that slides into a corresponding taper in the quill, and you just slide the chuck up into it. I haven't had to buy any in a while, and my favorite suppliers are long out of business, but today I would probably start with Production Tool. Not sure, but Grainger or McCord may have them as well.

Old 03-11-13, 02:12 PM
H
thanks for the redirection

Old 03-11-13, 02:18 PM
H
the quill does not have a slot as far as i can see. what next?

Old 03-11-13, 02:41 PM
A
Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
In that case, I would see if the hole in the quill is threaded, in which case you will need to determine what thread it is, fine I'm sure, and find a chuck with a corresponding thread. Didn't think about this initially, but if it's not threaded, it's probably still a morse taper. Most drill presses that I have seen, that use a morse taper, have the slot, but it's possible that not all of them do. The tail stocks on my metal lathe, for example, use a morse taper, but rather than a slot to remove the chuck you back it past its' normal point of use and that releases the chuck. The more that I think about it though, being a bench mount, I'd almost bet that you will find that it is threaded.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: