Problem with Porter cable pancake compressor

Old 03-15-13, 07:24 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Problem with Porter cable pancake compressor

the little plastic piece inside the regulator broke and the tank won't hold air. Any advice on how to fix it? According to porter cable I need a whole new manifold $50. To replace the tiny plastic piece.

Jason

Old 03-15-13, 07:34 AM
M
Not sure what you have there, usually a regulator is threaded into a manifold. Should be an easy replacement (of just the regulator). A pic would help. Still don't understand why the tank wouldn't hold pressure with a broken reg, is it leaking because of the damage? You have a female quick coupler downstream?

Old 03-15-13, 08:09 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

With closeup picture of the part or area we may be able to recommend something.

Otherwise you will need to replace the part as specified.

Post your model number here. There are places online that have parts listings.

Old 03-15-13, 08:18 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
I bought a regulator at Lowes or Home Depot once because a compressor I had purchased did not have one; I think I paid $15.

Old 03-15-13, 08:46 AM
R
porter cable

Air is coming out of the knob. So it looks as though the air never even gets to the tank. It's a little plastic piece that goes on the end of the spring and into what looks like a tiny brass fitting at the back. I tried thread tape on the regulator knob. No matter how tight air is still getting out. I haven't used this compressor much and then the other day it had this problem

Porter cable c2005 type 5. This is the inside of the regulator knob.
Jason

Old 03-15-13, 09:08 AM
M
Looks like the diaphragm nut/rivet. Diaphragm is gone then, I doubt that you would want to try and fix it. It'd be easier and probably cheaper to just get a new regulator

Old 03-15-13, 09:47 AM
R
problem is they don't sell just a regulator. Only the whole manifold. $55 Could I just put on a new regulator somehow?

Old 03-15-13, 10:02 AM
M
Is this it?

Porter Cable CFBN200A Air Compressor OEM Replacement MANIFOLD # A16181 - Amazon.com

What a cheap design.. Here is my advice, please take it for what's worth. Take off the manifold and toss it. Get a "T" or a "CROSS" fitting, preferably brass. Plumb it right into the tank hole where the manifold used to be. You now have 2 or 3 regular NPT connections to add any accessories you want. Should not cost more than $10. Good luck

Old 03-15-13, 10:06 AM
A
Received 73 Upvotes on 66 Posts
Yes, you can buy regulators separately. I have an industrial house where I buy things like that at decent prices, so haven't checked specifically, but imagine that home improvement big boxes, ACE, lumber yards that carry air tools, Sears, auto parts stores, etc. carry them. If it were mine though, before buying a regulator, I would plug the port that the regulator threads into, to make sure that it is standard NPT thread, then plug it in, to make sure that it fills the tank and shuts off automatically. The reason for checking it before going any farther is that you said the tank is not holding air, which causes me to think that the check valve is somehow affected, so it could be that there is more wrong with the manifold than just the regulator portion.

Old 03-15-13, 10:44 AM
R
the tank isn't holding air cause air is being vented off through the regulator. So I guess I worded it wrong. If there was no air coming out of the regulator, then it would hold air.

Jason

Old 03-15-13, 10:48 AM
R
if I did the t connection then wouldn't that be having an air pressure output the same as the tank pressure? the tank supposedly does 150 psi but many of my tools only take 90 psi. Also, there is a hose coming off of the manifold. Where would I connect that to on a T fitting?

Jason

Old 03-15-13, 10:53 AM
R
that part you posted from amazon is not the same part, but the design is the same. one into tank, one release valve on the left, 2 gauges on the top, tool input on the side. Mine has a hose coming off the back and going into the motor.

Old 05-31-13, 12:50 PM
Were you able to resolve your issue? I have the same problem - it's as if you took a photo of the guts of my compressor!

My tank builds pressure, but only when the spring and plastic part in your picture are removed. I read on another site that placing a washer behind the plastic part would fix it. So I spent $0.30 on a washer that fits and super-glued it to the plastic part. That allows the plastic part to push on the valve stem inside the regulator, but it also makes the air leak so that no tools can be used. What am I missing about how this thing works?

My tank is a Porter Cable C2002 Type 3, but I'm guessing the design is basically the same. I'd also rather not spend $40 on a regulator manifold kit for a $160 air compressor, but I also have tires that need to be aired up...

Thanks for your help!

Old 01-09-14, 12:31 PM
J
I know this thread has been sleeping

but I have a c2002 that died the same way as the rest of the thread, in my googling for answers I found this, hope it helps people in the future, it fixed mine in 5 mins

Fixing a Porter Cable C2002 Regulator - YouTube

Old 03-04-14, 12:07 PM
B
Cool Porter Cable 2002 Regulator Problem

Fyi,

Based on my research of this product and problem its more than obvious there was either a design problem or defective part. I recently called the company (888) 848-5175 and politely expressed my concerns about the product.

• Great Product (when its working)
  • Obvious regulator problem with all the complaints on internet
  • Price of new compressor $99+
  • Why is it so costly to replace or fix a simple problem that seems to be way to common.
  • Not reasonable to pay $50+ to replace a commonly defective part on a product that cost $99 new before any sale or promotional discounts.
  • It would make better sense to just purchase a new compressor.
  • That being said, why would it make sense to spend money on products your company is not standing behind.

Porter Cable understood my concerns and graciously without any resistance sent me a brand new manifold which included a new regulator. It only makes sense that they do this and is the only reason why I will continue to purchase their products.

Hope this helps.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: