Miter saw will not turn

Old 03-16-13, 09:43 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Miter saw will not turn

The table of my miter saw seems stuck in place. It will not turn either left or right and I cannot find anything stuck. So I cannot cut molding on angles. It used to work, but I have not needed to cut angles for several months, now the table wont turn. Not even a little. Anyone know how I can fix this?

Old 03-16-13, 09:47 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,348 Votes on 1,246 Posts
It sounds like the table is rusted. Is there any apparent rust..... visual ?

Can you shoot us a picture or give us a make and model number ?

Old 03-16-13, 10:23 AM
P
There is no rust that I can see. It is an off brand, Wilton 8" miter saw. I am tinking I may have to take it apart and put it back together again.

Old 03-16-13, 10:34 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Most miter saws are cast aluminum tables....so unlikely it's rusted together...but the connecting bolts between the moving part and the stationary section may have somehow frozen?

Shouldn't be too hard to turn it over..find the pivot area...loosen the fasteners and free it up.

Could be that it's just got a ton of sawdust jamming up the release/lock mechanism so it isn't letting it swivel.

Old 03-16-13, 11:32 AM
W
I still have my very first miter saw, that I guess is about 10yrs old now. It started doing this about a couple of years ago. I could force it to move back and forth, but there was a serious grinding noise from under the deck.

I pulled the thing apart, couldn't find any gunk building up, no marks where things were grinding together or anything. I cleaned it all up, sprayed a little quick drying lubricant and put it all back together. Still gave me problems. Thankfully I had my sliding saw available.

Pulled the sticky one out of the shed a few months ago and for some reason it was working again.

Hmm, I guess I'm not offering any solutions here... I'd pull it apart as someone else suggested.

Old 03-16-13, 11:43 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 361 Votes on 318 Posts
Could be that it's just got a ton of sawdust jamming up the release/lock mechanism so it isn't letting it swivel
That would be my guess. If you have an air compressor try blowing it out, otherwise a duster and maybe a pick will clean it out. Disassembly and reassembly if nothing else works.

Old 03-16-13, 11:44 AM
Group Moderator
Received 792 Votes on 729 Posts
Similar thread that might be helpful.

I'd say that it's seized to to crud seized (wedged) under the sliding parts. Start by blowing out out with compressed air, bounce it a little to shake anything loose out, and blow it as clean as you can.

Maybe tell us what brand or model it is. I know my Dewalt will sometimes get a small piece or chip wedged somewhere that will prevent it from turning very far.

Old 03-16-13, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
X....it's a Wilton 8"....I couldn't find much except for a few on some auction sites.

Old 03-16-13, 12:09 PM
Group Moderator
oh yeah, missed that.

Old 03-16-13, 12:12 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,348 Votes on 1,246 Posts
Apparently it was a Northern Hydraulics house brand.

I found something curious while searching around. It seems there is a recall on some of these saws because the pivot and base assembly crack. It mentions 10" saws and lists model numbers. Might be good to see if yours model is affected.

Recalls - Wilton Mitre Saws

Old 03-16-13, 12:25 PM
P
It's working!

I'd say that it's seized to to crud seized (wedged) under the sliding parts. Start by blowing out out with compressed air, bounce it a little to shake anything loose out, and blow it as clean as you can.

I tried that and still did not work. Hit it with my hammer a couple times (...if all else fails), and it is working fine again.

Thank you all for your suggestions. I will remember them for the future.

Old 03-16-13, 12:33 PM
Group Moderator
Just goes to prove the saying, "when all else fails, get a bigger hammer".

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: