Is it possible to make 2 piece molds in wood?

Old 05-28-13, 04:22 AM
A
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it possible to make 2 piece molds in wood?

Guys, I want to make a two piece wood block mold. The object that needs to be molded is a bell. It's like a classic bell that's narrow at the top and wide at the bottom. I can understand how to do this with silicone casting kits. But how would one go about this in wood?

I can't wrap my mind around it. To me it's impossible. All I can think of is cutting a block in half, then chiseling and chipping away each half. But then there would be no accuracy or precision. But I'm a newbie in woodworking, so there are probably tools and techniques I don't know about. Please share your ideas if such tools or techniques exist.

Thank you!

Old 05-28-13, 04:34 AM
A
One more thing, the reason I want wood is because the mold and the bell inside will be taken to a drill press, and it'll need to be clamped in place with a vise. Those rubber casting kits are too soft. A vise will squish the mold. If wood is impossible, are there casting kits out there that will produce a very hard plastic? That won't budge when pressured by a vise?

Old 05-28-13, 04:43 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Take your block of wood on a lathe and cut the bell shape in the block of wood to the symmetrical shape, THEN cut the block in half with a band saw. This will make a solid bell shape. If you want a hollow bell, don't cut the mold. Make an insert piece, only in the opposite symmetry. There will be no need to cut either piece, as they will nest inside each other forming the bell, with a slight difference to allow for a pour.

Old 05-28-13, 06:30 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If this is going to be for casting a real bronze bell then wood will just not work.
It needs to be sand or investment casted.
Wood would burst into flames or char when poring.
casting a bell - Bing

Old 05-29-13, 02:20 AM
A
No, no.. it's not for casting. I need to find a way to clamp it to the vise without marring it. Not only that, the narrow end of the bell has moving parts that needs to be stabilize because that's the entry point for the bit.

But it's okay, with some PVC piping parts, I've rigged up something that serves my purpose. The wood mold is "overkill" and 'over-thinking" now that I think about it. LOL!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: