tubing cutter wheel

Old 06-26-13, 12:07 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
tubing cutter wheel

I have an older model tubing cutter, an Eastman Imperial model 312-FB "Hi-Duty". I'm needing a replacement cutting wheel for it but I notice by going to the Eastman Imperial website that this particular model has been updated/re-designed and is now called the 312-FC. I called directly to the manufacturer to check whether a replacement cutting wheel for the 312-FC should fit my 312-FB, and best they could do was to tell me "I don't think so, I think it's different so your best bet would be to buy a new 312-FC". I'd rather not have to run out and buy a new tool if somehow I can acquire a new cutting wheel for this one. I don't do a lot of tubing cutting, so even being able to get just one wheel would make me happy. I checked around locally and of there's no place at all in my small town who even sells replacement cutting wheels. Any help/comments in regard to my issue here appreciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-13, 01:01 PM
Super Moderator
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Boy I feel your pain. Messed up the wheel on my old cheapo cutter and new wheels that would fit are $9 for 2. I wouldn't use 2 wheels in the years I have left on earth. New cutter (cheapo) is $15.

I'll just wait until I need one and buy it at Wally World I guess.

Old 06-26-13, 01:14 PM
I checked around some more and discovered that the cutting wheel for the new model will indeed fit the old one, but normally if you want to order one from a regular distributor or whatever you either have to have a minimum order of up to $35 or need to buy a minimum of a package of 10. I don't need that many nor do I want to spend that much.
Yippee! I lucked out and found the proper one available through an ebay seller for $6.35 and free shipping.

Old 06-26-13, 04:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 194 Votes on 180 Posts
I sent you a PM in case the Ebay one does not work out.

Old 06-26-13, 06:00 PM
Super Moderator
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
Often if you look in the handle there is a replacement blade there.... All my ridgids have them....

Also I think they are pretty standard for the cutters except the mini ones....

Old 06-26-13, 06:13 PM
Often if you look in the handle there is a replacement blade there
Now that would be a definite bonus if I look in the handle and find a replacement. I'll check it out. tomorrow (it's at my workplace). thanks!

Old 06-27-13, 02:03 PM
Okay I've had a chance to check in the handle. Looks like if there was ever a replacement blade in there it's gone now. I guess it normally would fit in what looks like a little circular storage/space area there under the de-burrer attachment thing.

Old 06-27-13, 03:12 PM
Super Moderator
I'm thinking seriously about just resharpening mine. Put a machine screw and nut on it, chuck it in the drill and use my sharpening stone to get the burrs off. That will teach me to cut EMT conduit with a pipe cutter.

Old 06-27-13, 03:20 PM
Super Moderator
Wow....believe it or not..found a screw and nut in just a minute or two and it's already done! Just tried it on a piece of 3/4" pipe I had...worked like a champ!

Old 06-27-13, 03:23 PM
I'm thinking seriously about just resharpening mine.
My old one in the picture there (first post this thread) is beyond even thinking of trying to resharpen. It's chipped and broken away there in two places (the biggest chunk broken off above the shadow, harder to see in the picture).

Edit: Glad you here were able to fix yours up though.

Old 06-27-13, 03:27 PM
Super Moderator
Yeah...I knew it wouldn't help you...but mine just had a few small chips and the edge rolled over.. Thanks though...because without your thread I never would have thought of doing it. Saved me a trip to the store and a few bucks as well.

Old 06-27-13, 03:51 PM
Cool. But not quite clear on what you did. You have a sharpening stone chucked into the drill somehow? You found a machine screw and a nut and put it through the wheel, then clamped the whole business in a vice maybe? I'm confused.

Old 06-27-13, 04:01 PM
Super Moderator
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
You all looked in the end of the handle right????. The extra blade is under the screw that holds the handle on. You need to remove the handle to get to the extra blade....

Old 06-27-13, 04:05 PM
Super Moderator
Machine screw and nut through the cutter, then chuck the screw in the drill.

My large whetstone, when stood on end, was tall enough to meet the wheel, with the battery of the drill flat on the workbench. So all I had to do was look down from above and set the contact angle of cutter to stone, the fire up the drill. After I took the burr off, I put the wheel at 90 degrees to the stone to remove the chipped areas, then moved the stone back to an angle to sharpen it. Screw was long enough I didn't even have to reverse the cutter to do both sides.

Took me longer to type this than it did to actually do it.

Old 06-27-13, 04:08 PM
Super Moderator
Mike....mine was an el-cheapo...no screw in the handle. It's molded right to the adjusting screw.

Old 06-27-13, 04:11 PM
You all looked in the end of the handle right????. The extra blade is under the screw that holds the handle on. You need to remove the handle to get to the extra blade....
Yeah I removed the bottom part of the handle that's secured with the screw, as shown in this photo, and checked there. Then I even unscrewed the knurled knob there but nothing under there but ball bearings.