Air Compressor Trouble

Old 07-01-13, 01:55 PM
J
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air Compressor Trouble

I was given a single stage, inline 2 cyl speedaire air compressor from my father in law. It was not working at the time he gave it to me. I replaced the startup capacitor on the 2hp motor, the check valve, most fittings, upload valve and changed oil. However it still is not right. Here is what happens. Starts up fine and gets to about 15 psi and the motor starts to labor and slow until it gets to 20 psi then the motor just stops and i have to turn off power to keep from burning it up. I double check valves they are all working properly. The intake is clear and clean. So i thought maybe it was a reed issue. I removed the head and cylinders(s). Everything looks good and clean. No scarring, bent or overheating evidence. But i did find that on the copper outlet tune side of the head there was some oil around the center bolt hole and gasket was wet right up to the cylinder. Is this an issue or normal? Some how i think im getting pressure back in the head of the motor. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks- Joe

Old 07-01-13, 02:15 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Double check the direction of the check valve to make sure the arrow is facing toward the tank.
Got a model # you can post?

Old 07-01-13, 02:47 PM
J
Model number on the pump is a speedaire 4B247A. Cast Iron series with a 220V 15 amp 3450 rpm motor. Looks like there is only one way to install check valve. It wont thread into tank any other way. Motor sure dont seem to spin at 3450 rpm's. another model number on the tank is 4B228C. 20 gal 10.3 @90 psi 9.1 @ 135 psi

Old 07-01-13, 03:06 PM
J
I just noticed that after 15 sec of running reaching the high laboring point, that the pulley on the motor is really hot. And if i turn the flywheel by hand there is force behind it. It is real easy to turn. So maybe i have a motor issue?

Old 07-01-13, 03:09 PM
J
Also i forgot. Awhile ago i swapped out motors and the same thing happened. So maybe not the motor?

Old 07-01-13, 05:11 PM
A
Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
So backing up a bit, when you got this air compressor, did it have the original motor? And did you replace it with one of the same specifications?

Old 07-01-13, 05:44 PM
J
Yes the compressor had the original motor. Apparently it was used on one job site and the startup capacitor failed which i found out and replaced. I swapped out the original motor with a 1.5 hp and had same laboring results. So i put the original motor back on and started to re-check the valves, intake and fittings. Still same result. So i took apart the head and cylinder and found the slight oil leak.

Old 07-01-13, 06:05 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,180 Likes on 2,855 Posts
It sounds like the pulley ratios may be incorrect. The motor may spin at 3450 but the compressor can't be spun anywhere near that speed.

Normally you would check the running current of the motor to see if it's overloaded.

Can you shoot us a pic or two and post them here ?

Old 07-01-13, 09:18 PM
J
[SUB][/SUB]got it!!!!! Overlooked the simple things. Man i feel like a dummy. Tore this thing apart and pulled my hair out over a LOOSE BELT. For what ever reason the slightly loose belt bound everything up after 20 seconds of running. For the heck of it i slide the motor back and got the belt as tight as i could and bingo. Runs like a raped ape. It was weird because the belt had no noticeable slipping. Oh well. Thanks for the input guys. Its nice to have a forum like this. Glad i joined

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: