paint eater "shorted out"?

Old 07-20-13, 12:03 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
paint eater "shorted out"?

Was using this Wagner Paint Eater Wagner Power Products 513040 PaintEater - Amazon.com and it was working along fine, then wouldn't switch back on after switching it off. Then I noticed the insulation on it's electrical cord by it's plug had been damaged (obviously accidentally scraped by the abrasive wheel during use) by someone who used it previously, and who had wrapped the damaged portion with some electrical tape. Here's a picture of the scraped/damaged cord after I cut off that portion and replaced the plug:

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...psaaccd8d1.jpg

I had assumed the damaged cord is what caused the tool to quit abruptly and that perhaps replacing the plug would take care of the problem. But no, I find after replacing the plug it still won't power on. So maybe a bad switch, I'm thinking now. So I was going to open it up and see if I could at least take a look at the switch. So I removed the seven screws that hold the two halves of the casing together but something in there is still holding it tight together around the point where the handle was (which I broke off fighting with it, doesn't matter I don't care). As you can see with the picture here, I've pried and buggered up the plastic along the seam by prying with screwdriver trying to get the blasted thing to open. So although I'd be surprised if anybody here has ever tried to open one of these things (or even has one for that matter), any suggestions as to what I need to do now to get it open would be appreciated. Also, even if I do manage to get it open and maybe see that the switch is damaged, I don't see anyplace where there is such a replacement part for this particular tool. I checked ereplacementparts.com and a few other places. I called Wagner support they said these tools are non-repairable if anything happens to them internally and that all they can do maybe replace the tool if its still under warrantee, which mine isn't. Still, I woudn't mind being able to open the dang thing. Unless there's any further suggestions I'll probably just keep prying some more until it breaks some more I suppose.

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...pse22c7156.jpg

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...ps79f70cdf.jpg

Old 07-20-13, 01:26 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm only gonna suggest this 'cause we're buds. Did you go back into the plug to make sure all the connections were correct and still under the screws?

Old 07-20-13, 01:33 PM
Yes as matter of fact I did go in and double check that, Chandler. I'd say with certainty the connections were correct and tight and sound in the new plug.

Let me add that I was figured out what was holding it together still, after I busted it further as I said I would. The screw underneath this sticker:

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...ps777c7d71.jpg

And, looking inside, the switch itself appears fine (no obvious burnt marks or such). But I noticed there is quite a buildup of sticky paint dust embedded in the motor windings in there. I'll waste some more time with it and if anything of further interest develops I'll be sure to post back.

Old 07-20-13, 02:33 PM
Not that it's particularly interesting, but here's a photo of inside. I have a multimeter. What might I be able to check with the multimeter to further troubleshoot?

Old 07-20-13, 02:58 PM
Update: I un-soldered the switch and just bypassed it to see if the thing would work then. It does. Plus, the switch looks like a fairly generic switch so I think I can replace it.

Old 07-20-13, 03:08 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Well, there ya go. Good work. Let us know if a generic switch fixed it or if you have to order one.

Old 07-20-13, 03:17 PM
The guy from Wagner said there is no replacement switch available. Said that if anything goes wrong with the internals it's not repairable.
Meanwhile, until when/if I get a switch I'll go back to eating paint with the ol' paint eater, and just plug it in and unplug it when I want to start/stop it. (kids: Don't try this at home)

Old 07-21-13, 04:22 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 703 Likes on 619 Posts
Did you have any trouble reassembling it? ..... or was it duct tape time glad you got it going

Old 07-21-13, 09:04 AM
Did you have any trouble reassembling it? ..... or was it duct tape time
Actually the outer shell/case it did fit back together reasonably well despite my all my cracking/busting and buggering it up. I was able to reinsert the seven screws into the securing holes from which I removed them. That eighth screw (under the sticker) I didn't have to screw back in though because of my "shortcut" method of opening. I am considering duct taping over the cracked casing though, to prevent excessive paint dust from entering inside.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: