What tool to use to make a gazillion 1 1/2" PVC cuts?

Old 07-28-13, 07:43 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What tool to use to make a gazillion 1 1/2" PVC cuts?

So, I'm planning on building an agility course for our dogs. Found a plan online to make it out of 1 1/2" PVC. Not sure if I'm allowed to post the site I found the plan on.

The process will involve making many, many cuts of the piping. Rather than spend hours and hours doing this with a hacksaw, what would be the quickest way to make these cuts and with what power tool?

I have circ saw, miter/chop saw, angle grinders, sawzall, etc. etc. Any specific blade (hopefully a cheap one? I don't plan on using it much) to use for this process with any of the above mentioned tools?

Old 07-28-13, 07:53 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Miter saw. If they will be many of the same length, clamp a stop block or make a jig so you don't have to keep measuring the pipe. Even if the are multiple lengths it's quicker to move the block, make 10 cuts, move the block, make 10 cuts, etc...than it is to measure and mark each cut.

Not sure what would be the best blade...I'm guessing something in the 60 tooth range? With a carbide blade, I doubt it would hurt it at all.

Old 07-28-13, 07:59 AM
W
That's what I was thinking as well Gunguy! The jig is a great idea as there are many cuts at the same length.

A while ago I bought myself a new 10" 60 tooth carbide blade (per your suggestion I seem to remember!), you don't think the pvc will lessen the life of the blade?

Old 07-28-13, 08:18 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Going to also going to have to deburr all the cuts.
I'd use SCH 80 pipe and fittings so it's not going to sag or break off as easily.
PVC is hard on a blade, but it will work. If you rub the side of the blade with a bar of hand soap before cutting it will help to keep the burned PVC from gumming it up. the blade

Old 07-28-13, 08:31 AM
W
Hmm, thanks Joe for the idea about the soap. Maybe I'll just throw my old blade back on there to do this and just go slow. Not worried about that one getting damaged if that does happen.

Yep, I'll pull out some rough grit sand paper to smooth all the ends. Looks like we end cap them anyways, but better to be safe than sorry.

The site mentions using sch40, I checked our local hardware store and they sell the pipe but don't mention online what SCH it is. I think I'll have to drop by today and see what they've got.

Old 07-28-13, 08:38 AM
Super Moderator
If it can cut oak (or aluminum...though that can shorten the life) PVC won't be an issue. Let it do the cutting..don't force it and melt the plastic. You may not want to used that specific blade for precise trim work again, but for larger work it will be fine.

As Joe said, you'll probably need to smooth the cut a little. Seems like as the blade exits there's always a little "flag" of plastic that needs to be cleaned up. Couple of twists of emery cloth should do it...you don't need to worry about the inside since there won't be any water flow.

Old 07-28-13, 08:42 AM
W
Thanks guys. Not sure if I can post the link to the plans. It could be considered a competing site with this one. Hard to ask questions about some of this stuff otherwise. Don't want to get banned from here.

If you are familiar with dog agility... Any thoughts on whether or not I'm going to have to glue the joints using pvc materials if I'm making "weave poles"?

Old 07-28-13, 08:46 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
If it is to be used outside it might be better to use PVC intended for furniture because plumbing PVC isn't UV protected.

From: PVC Furniture & Plumbing Grade Plastic Pipe Fittings. 3 Ways, 4 Ways, 5 Ways, Crosses, Caps, Plugs, Tees, Pipe and other commonly used pvc fittings for building furniture and construction projects.
The difference between furniture grade fittings and common plumbing fittings is UV stablization for furniture grade pvc fittings. There is no difference in strength. Common plumbing fittings will start to turn yellow and then brown after long term exposure to the sun. All will fit standard PVC plumbing IPS pipe (sch 40/80/120, Class 315, 200, etc.), or you can use the UV protected pipe on the pvc pipe page. If your project is going to be painted or covered or not exposed to the sun, or if it does not matter to you the discoloration, then plumbing fittings will work fine. Note: Not all fittings are available in both furniture grade and plumbing grade. You will have to read the description.

Old 07-28-13, 08:57 AM
W
Definitely going to be used outside. Having a Belgian Malinois running around in our house would be worse than a bull in a china shop. Hmm, now I'm not sure which type to use. It has to be something he can see as it appears he's colour blind. He can barely see an orange hockey ball right in front of him if it's not moving. The plans call for the white PVC which I believe is the potable type. Good info though Ray.

Old 07-28-13, 09:15 AM
Super Moderator
I agree that if it's going to be a semi-permanent outside item...the UV resistant would be better. You might also consider PVC conduit depending on price. It's UV resistant and the same size. For whatever reason sometimes I find it cheaper. Of course, I have to cut a few inches off because of the belled end.

You can also paint regular PVC to counteract UV. Don't the agility courses have them painted yellow or orange or something. Haven't seen one of the TV shows in a while.

Regular PVC will probably last quite a while though, maybe even longer at your latitude.

As to gluing...you might just try loose fit first, it will make it easier for storage. If it doesn't work, you can always glue later.

Old 07-28-13, 09:33 AM
W
Thanks guys. Off to buy the materials for this now. Will try putting this together when I get back.

Ace on the River says many thanks as well!

Old 07-28-13, 01:43 PM
W
Well, it all worked out pretty well. Only stuff I could find in town that was UV resistant was the grey 1 1/4" electrical conduit piping. Of course there aren't tees or end caps for this available, so had to use ABS black plumbing parts and the conversion glue to join it all together.

Got it all cut and dry fit....... and it starts raining getting everything wet so no gluing for today. Ah well. Another day.

Old 07-28-13, 02:17 PM
Super Moderator
Nice dog btw...he's what our town has with the Sheriffs.

Old 07-28-13, 02:30 PM
W
Yep, that's what they're best at. That and just about everything else they try their paws and teeth at. That's why I'm building the agility course. If we don't work him every day throwing the ball at least 100 times, it will not be a good day. Agility will work his mind a bit and make him think. He's about 3 IQ points away from being able to tell me in English what he wants to do.

Most intense dogs I've ever owned.

Old 09-25-13, 12:49 PM
W
I just realized I never did post a pic of the final glued result.

I present.... Weave poles.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: