Transporting air compressor

Old 08-30-13, 03:25 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Transporting air compressor

Looking at either the husky or kobalt 60 gal compressor. Pick up at the store saves either $79 or $55 delivery to the door. Can I lay that down in the bed of my pick up or do I have to carry it vertical? I "figure" letting it stand upright a couple of days before use will allow the oil to get back to normal places?

Old 08-30-13, 04:02 PM
T
Honestly, it wasn't that hard when I carried mine vertically, once I built a ramp...

You may want to consider making some kind of ramp anyway, as they can be very useful with a pickup truck.

Just a note, my 80 gallon unit was almost 400lb. I simply would not have been able to safely lay it on its side or safely tilt it back up by myself.

Come to think of it, the big-box hardware store is usually willing to forklift something like this into the back of the truck. Getting out back out again is obviously a challenge, but might not be too bad if you do make a ramp.

Old 08-30-13, 04:50 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 746 Votes on 685 Posts
Many compressors are shipped without oil so if it's dry you can lay it down without worry. At home stand it up and don't forget to fill it with oil.

If it is filled with oil I'd lay it down on a piece of cardboard (to catch any spillage) with the oil filler facing up. At home I'd let it sit for a day up right and manually turn the compressor through a couple cycles by hand (with the power disconnected) to make sure a cylinder is not full of oil. Fill the oil to the proper level and turn it on.

Transporting it vertical is best but most of the weight is at the top so go well supplied with ratchet straps. If it starts to tip it will want to go all the way.

Old 08-31-13, 05:01 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 360 Votes on 317 Posts
When I bought my 60 gallon compressor I transported it in a van, no choice but to lay it down [I don't think it had oil in it but it's been 20 yrs] My little 11 gallon compressor has rolled over numerous times transporting it to job sites and I've plugged it in waiting no longer than it takes to unload it and string out the extension cord and air hose. If it has oil in it, I'd wait overnight just to play it safe ...... but it'd probably be ok in a shorter period of time.

Old 09-01-13, 01:01 PM
Tx for the suggestions. I am still leaning towards a horizontal move. I think loading is, stand it up next to tail gate, lift, tilt and slide. Same with depositing it into the garage, slide and stand up. Yes the big box stores will load with fork lift in a vertical position, but getting it off the truck seems to be the problem for me. The suggestion of a ramp is a good one, assuming that you have to "walk" it up the ramp and then "walk" it down again??. This one is 255 lbs, kinda got me by 40 lbs :-(. If I can deal on a lower delivery charge, will go that way. TX!!!

Old 09-01-13, 01:55 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
225 pounds, a couple of husky guys and it is a piece of cake. I've moved ungainly items heavier than this by myself with little problem. The trick is to work smart, not hard. Work slowly and deliberately. If it starts to fall DON'T try to stop it with your foot or anything. The compressor can be replaced, your foot is another matter.

Old 09-03-13, 07:08 PM
So you think a couple of "Husky" guys would help me load a Kobalt?? I know what you mean, couldn't resist

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: