New compressor for my tires questions.....

Old 11-12-13, 01:28 PM
Z
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New compressor for my tires questions.....

I purchased a 100psi 3 gallon compressor to inflate my automobile tires. I took a gamble hoping this will suffice for my tires. I used the quick disconnect that it came with to hook a 25' foot hose to the compressor.

On the chuck side, is it standard to install another quick disconnect or should I just go straight to the chuck?

How about at the compressor? Do I need quick disconnect here if I only intend on using one hose?

I tried it with another disconnect at the tire chuck but it leaks like crazy. (the quick disconnect does, I have everything else sealed and taped).

My only reasoning to put another disconnect was to be able to put a blow out gun to shoot compressed air. I have no other intended use besides these two things.

Old 11-12-13, 01:51 PM
A
Received 68 Votes on 62 Posts
You'll probably like it better with a quick coupler at each end, because the coupler allows the chuck to turn a bit, not freely enough to totally prevent the hose from getting rolled up in itself, but it helps. You can pick up additional couplers and nipples at any auto parts or hardware store or big box. Not that you asked, but a good practice is to unplug the compressor when not in use, and to disconnect the hose from it.

Old 11-12-13, 01:57 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 747 Votes on 686 Posts
It all depends on what you want. If it's mostly going to stay in your garage I would screw the hose into the compressor and only put a quick disconnect on the end so you can switch between a blow off gun and chuck for your tires. If you think you'll be moving the compressor around a fair bit then I'd put a disconnect at both ends of the hose. Carrying a compressor around is easier without the hose getting in the way.

Old 11-12-13, 02:00 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You can buy a set with a bunch of different style connectors, a blow gun may even have some Teflon tape with it for under $20.00.
Always best to have quick disconnects on both ends.
Workforce 17-Piece Air Compressor Accessory Kit-41225HOM at The Home Depot

Old 11-12-13, 02:05 PM
Z
Thanks...

Is there a trick to using the quick disconnect to not have them leak?

I might just have a bad one, it leaks bad around the 3 ball disconnect (not the threads as I have those sealed with teflon). I put a little 5:1 oil in one hoping to lube the O-Ring but that didnt help.

Will this size be adaquete for my tires? Or did I waste money on a beach ball inflator? At least no more compressed air cans and 75cent fill ups on my tires... bound to get a few buck back there.

Old 11-12-13, 02:10 PM
J
Could be lot's if things, O ring, something stuck in the ball, rust if it a steel one, wrong style shaft on the male part.
Buy that set I suggested and toss the one that's leaking.

Old 11-12-13, 03:11 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 361 Votes on 318 Posts
Years ago almost all the cheap disconnects were junk and Milton was the only brand I trusted .... but now it seems to be a crap shoot no matter what brand you buy

Also it's a good idea to drain your air tank after each use as that will remove any moisture in your tank.

Old 11-18-13, 02:31 PM
Z
Could be lot's if things, O ring, something stuck in the ball, rust if it a steel one, wrong style shaft on the male part.
It was certainly the cheap fitting I had... I took a gamble on another cheapo (3.75 at the harbor freight) and that one didnt leak at all..... YET.

So I can swap out between the tire chuck and the blow gun now. Put a quick discon. at the compressor too so I can remove the hose, coil it up and hang it on the wall next to it.

Old 11-19-13, 06:37 AM
W
Received 22 Votes on 21 Posts
Quick Coupling

Male and female parts at a connection need to be from the same kit. I have found that when I mix male and female parts from different manufacturers, there are slight differences that cause leaks. Hope this helps.

Old 11-19-13, 07:44 AM
J
Going to do more harm to the hose by keep connecting and disconnecting it.
Just leave it on.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: