Torque Wrench Repair Help

Old 11-19-13, 03:38 PM
M
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Torque Wrench Repair Help

I have a 120 ft-lb Craftsman torque wrench for automotive use and the head has too much play in it, such that if I put any significant angle on it while tightening bolts, I can't ratchet it back without removing it from the bolt first (does that make sense). I'm referring to where the socket meets the head. There is a small allen screw on the back of the head but it is tight as hell. I'm wondering if it can be adjusted to take out the slop.

Old 11-19-13, 03:49 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If it's a Craftsman it's life time warrantied, take it back.

Old 11-19-13, 06:26 PM
M
Negatory...

FOR ONE YEAR from the date of purchase, this product is warranted against any defects in material or workmanship. A defective product will receive free repair or replacement if repair is unavailable.
If this product needs re-calibration within ninety (90) days from the date of purchase, it will be re-calibrated free of charge. After 90 days you must pay for re-calibration.
This ONE YEAR warranty is void if this product is ever used while providing commercial services or if rented to another person. For 90 DAY commercial and rental use terms, see the Craftsman warranty web page.

WARRANTY SERVICE
To obtain warranty coverage, return the product to the retailer from which it was purchased for free repair or replacement if repair is unavailable.

I heard Craftsman products are no longer US made. Is this correct? That would explain the crappy construction of my torque wrench and drill press I recently bought.

Also, is there such thing as a crescent/open-ended torque wrench? I have a couple bolts that are in tight spots were I can't fit a socket-style torque wrench (e.g. strut mounting bolts in wheel well).

Last edited by mossman; 11-19-13 at 06:47 PM.
Old 11-19-13, 06:46 PM
G
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Do you have a beam-type, a click-type or a dial-type? None in my experience have a 120 ft-lbs full scale.

Sears has sold many different torque wrenches in recent years. Whatever they can get that offers the highest profit while providing acceptable (to THEM) performance and reliability. Can you post a picture of yours or reply with the model number?

Most likely that allen screw holds the ratchet ass'y together and has nothing to do with the head angle. Assuming you have a "flex head" torque wrench that does allow some angle there's no fix for it if it gets loose.

Old 11-19-13, 06:48 PM
M
Old 11-19-13, 06:53 PM
G
OK it's NOT a flex head--so it's not supposed to have ANY play in the head except when you hit the torque setting and it "breaks". The head is a forging that extends several inches inside the handle tube and is pinned (pivot) just behind the head. Maybe the pin is worn and can be replaced but anything else (wear, stress crack, etc) makes the tool unuseable.

Old 11-19-13, 06:55 PM
M
It's only 8 months old and I don't use it very much. I submitted a warranty request on Sears.com and we'll see what they say. Slop is in the direction of the arrows, so that if I'm tightening a bolt and do not hold the wrench perfectly perpendicular, the head binds up. Curious as to why this tool does not have a lifetime warranty. Perhaps it's because Sears is struggling.

Name:  Torque Wrench.jpg
Views: 2641
Size:  10.5 KB

Old 11-19-13, 06:59 PM
G
If it's any comfort I've worked on several of those and they're decently made (in the USA in fact!) and hold their accuracy as well as much higher priced tools that come on very high-priced trucks

I think you just got a bad one.

Old 11-19-13, 07:13 PM
G
I just noticed the picture with arrows. Play in the ratchet assembly. I doubt you can buy replacement parts but it's worth asking--if they deny your warranty claim. The thing is--that wrench has the ratchet teeth cast as part of the head. Not good if it's that part that's worn.
The rotating part & the ratchet pawl are easily replaced.

Old 11-20-13, 04:42 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 361 Votes on 318 Posts
I don't think Craftsman has ever had a lifetime warranty on the clicker type torque wrenches. I think they do/did sell the beam type with a lifetime warranty but a lot has changed at Sears and Craftsman tools over the last several years.

Old 11-21-13, 10:10 AM
M
Another question about torque wrenches in general. How much, if any, does the torque vary from the setting when using a socket extension?

Old 11-21-13, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Torque Wrench Extension

Easier to read what this guy wrote than for me to try to explain.

Old 11-21-13, 11:12 AM
M
Will not affect torque setting...that's the answer I was looking for. Thanks.

Old 11-26-13, 02:39 PM
M
Picked up a new replacement torque wrench today and the head is just as sloppy as my original one. I guess this is normal? If so, this torque wrench is crap.

Attached Images  
Old 11-26-13, 04:20 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
As a general rule in this day and age, avoid Chinese made measuring and cutting tools. There is no savings in the long run, you end up paying more in delays, frustration and compromised safety.

Old 11-26-13, 07:32 PM
G
Does yours have Made in the USA molded into the handle? If not--then they've switched manufacturers again

Old 11-29-13, 09:49 AM
M
Haven't looked at the handle, but the label on the packaging does say Made in China .

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: