Angle grinder replacement

Old 12-07-13, 06:16 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Angle grinder replacement

So, in a project a little while ago I put a diamond blade on my crappy old 4.5", 4.2 amp, $20 angle grinder. In haste I put the nut/washer that locks the wheel into place on upside down (which of course allowed the diamond blade to spin freely rendering it useless), and as usual overtightened everything.

Well, after trying to release the diamond blade (which was twice the price of the angle grinder), I've managed to wreck the pin that locks the wheel and allows you remove the nut/locking washer. Of course this was due to overtightening it in the first place. My bad.

Today, I'm looking at buying a new angle grinder. It's a 5", 12 amp. one for 1/2 price at $60. I have a bunch of 4.5" cut off wheels, masonry wheels and the stupid diamond blade that I trapped on my old one.

Are there any concerns with using 4.5" wheels on a 5" angle grinder? Not sure if the size difference would affect the rpm or something like that. Since they're smaller wheels, there can't be a concern with it hitting any of the safety guards I wouldn't think?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-13, 06:37 AM
Received 23 Votes on 21 Posts
Just a voice from the crowd, but I don't see a problem. FWIW I use a wide variety of sizes depending upon the job and all work well. Good safety glasses are a must.

As a note, I don't know how I got along so many years without a grinder, very useful tool.
Bud

Old 12-07-13, 06:48 AM
Yep, won't touch one of these without safety glasses on.

I know what you mean about it being a great tool Bud. I bought the crappy one about 10 years ago at a liquidation place and never used it, but since I've become a homeowner I've used it a boatload of times! I kind of equate it to my cordless impact driver which I had for several years until a friend showed me what it was for. Now my poor cordless drill just sits staring at me wondering what it did wrong.

The one I'm looking at has an index finger trigger opposed to the old one that has an on/off switch right up near the wheel which just doesn't seem smart at all. 12amps also seems like a big improvement as the old one bogged down a bit depending on what you were doing.

First thing I'm planning on doing is hacking the old one apart with the new one to get that damned diamond wheel off!

Old 12-07-13, 07:25 AM
Super Moderator
Check the arbor size. I know when I had to replace my 4", all my wheels were useless since I had to buy a 4 1/2". No one even stocked a 4" anywhere in town.

Old 12-07-13, 07:37 AM
Thanks gunguy. Never even thought of that. Just checked and both the old one and the new one are 5/8". In doing so, I also noticed I may be able to get the diamond wheel off using a wrench to hold the arbor in place to release the nut/washer.

Old 12-07-13, 02:29 PM
Just got home with this thing. It's a beast! A 5" 12A is pretty heavy compared to a 4.5" 4.2A. Had to plug it in and check it out. Wife's reaction was "That's a terrible sound!" before she let the dogs out and then went outside herself. Maybe not the best 'inside' toy to play with.