How do I drill a 10 inch hole with a 10 inch drill press?

Old 12-14-13, 07:49 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How do I drill a 10 inch hole with a 10 inch drill press?

It seems that the depth gauge is limited to 2 inches, which is about 8 inches short of the advertised value; however, I highly doubt that this is the actual limitation of my drill press.

I have a Ryobi 10 inch Laser Exact Drill Press.

Ryobi 10 in. Drill Press-DP102L at The Home Depot

Interesting there are no videos on youtube showing any drill press drilling a long hole.

Old 12-14-13, 11:54 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
Ten inch refers to the distance from the center of the drill chuck to the closest point on the support column; in other words how far in from the edge of the material you are drilling. Quill length, the up/down travel of the drill by use of the handle is what you are asking and for a table-top drill press two to four inches is pretty standard.

Total assumption on my part but it sounds like you are making a lamp and need to drill the spindle for the cord. No matter what your project you can only drill the length of the quill in one pass. What you CAN do is drill to the depth of the quill and then add a block under the work to raise the work for another downward pass. You will have to do this multiple times for a ten-inch deep hole.

Old 12-15-13, 07:38 AM
Group Moderator
Received 792 Votes on 729 Posts
And you would need a minimum of a 10" long drill bit obviously. Start drilling with the table plate as low as needed, drill 2" deep, then let the handle back up. Then you can crank the table upward 2". And repeat. Or use Furd's method.

Old 12-15-13, 08:00 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
You could turn the base around and fasten the press to a benchtop. The quill will be hanging over free space. Attach vertical guide lumber to the bench face to help guide the material upward into the bit. Then, rather than moving the press quill, push the material into the bit. Just another way.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: