replace air compressor tank

Old 02-16-14, 12:54 PM
replace air compressor tank

What is involved in replacing tank? I have a Harbor Freight 8 gallon oiled (?) compressor. Because of my negligence in draining water, the tank is leaking at a weld. Someone is selling Sears compressor tank. His compressor died but he saved the tank. Can I marry a Harbor Freight compressor to a Sears 16 gallon tank? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-14, 01:33 PM
Upvotes Received: 43
Essentially just a matter of drilling new holes in the table and plumbing, which may or may not be a challenge, depending on the threads. The air comes out of the head, passes through a check valve, and goes into the tank. In the tank, you also need to thread the pressure switch, gauges, pop off safety valve, and discharge. Oh yeah, and a tank drain, although some people don't use them! Just kidding. By going to a larger tank, the pump is going to run for a longer period on the initial fill and each time it cycles, and there is a science to it, but, in the interest of possibly saving some money, nothing that you can do about it anyway, so I wouldn't worry too much about that. I would look the replacement tank over good to make sure that it looks decent, as a leaking or rusty tank can be a dangerous thing. If the tank configurations are similar, you might be able to cut the table off of your old tank and bolt it onto the replacement one, which would save laying out new holes, but that's no big deal. Just be sure to lay the pump out so that the holes match up with the motor slots, and that the distance is correct for your belts and belt guard.

Old 02-16-14, 02:52 PM
Thanks for explaining what I should expect when I move the motor. It doesn't have a belt.

I also wonder if the leak can be repaired. Do most car repair places do welding? If not, where?

I re-examined the leak. It is at the top of the tank, where a round rod (must the the air-out port) is welded to the tank. It was a bad weld. Instead of weld bead buildup, it has undercut.

Old 02-16-14, 03:12 PM
Super Moderator
Upvotes Received: 5
It would not be feasible to repair the tank.
If the tank was not rusted out it would have to be repaired by a certified pressure welder and hydro-tested.
No one in their right mind would weld on your tank.

Most of the cheaper compressor units have metric or proprietary threads which would be something you need to closely look to see if you will be able to connect your components to the replacement tank.

Usually by the time tank is gone on an inexpensive compressor unit it does not make sense to mess with it.

Old 02-17-14, 08:26 AM
I haven't thought about the safety matter. Thanks for the advice. I am buying a new compressor.