Portable Air Compressor Recommendations

Old 03-24-14, 07:13 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
You shouldn't need to re-seal it.
Most compressor pipe connections are wrapped with teflon tape, which is reasonably forgiving.
The white tape basically forms a conical gasket between the two sets of pipe threads.
In my experience, a teflon taped pipe junction will usually stay air tight despite several
back-and forth turns, as long as you don't turn the pipe more than about 1/3 of a turn.
Must be different for water then because I've always understood that once you disturb a seal on a water pipe, you're supposed to reseal it. I don't see any teflon tape. Think it's probably doped. I'll test for leaks once the regulator is removed and the switch is back in place. If no leaks, then I won't bother with it.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-14, 08:43 AM
Any more feedback on my drawing? I thinking a cutoff valve on each line is a little overkill considering everything is in such close proximity. Unless I hear otherwise, I'm just going to have two valves--one main cutoff valve where the hose whip meets the rigid pipe, and the other will be the drain valve below the vertical run.

Old 03-25-14, 08:36 PM
Here's the design I'm going with:

Name:  AirCompressor2.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  17.7 KB

Old 03-26-14, 05:05 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 166 Votes on 147 Posts
I'd rather have the main cut off at the tank, that way if there is ever an issue with the hose you don't have to completely drain the tank.

Old 03-26-14, 02:26 PM
I'd rather have the main cut off at the tank, that way if there is ever an issue with the hose you don't have to completely drain the tank.
Guess I should have mentioned that the tank will have a quick connect coupler so if there are any issues, I can simply disconnect the hose.

Old 04-20-14, 05:36 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I don't know man, you may want to re-consider putting in one last valve right before the last 90 going to the driveway line. That way, you can have that valve closed, the other end of the piping open, and you can say use your compressor to add more stuff like lines and quick connects along that joist.

I guess I look at it like it would be easier later if you ever want to expand it by adding in that valve.