Impact Wrench "Oil" Plug?

Old 03-22-14, 08:03 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Impact Wrench "Oil" Plug?

I just bought a 10 pc. Craftsman mechanics set and the impact wrench has a plug on the side that says "oil". What is the purpose of this plug? I have air tool oil and have already put several drops in the air inlet on the bottom of the gun. Am I supposed to do something else?

Name:  IMAG0501_R.jpg
Views: 1967
Size:  28.3 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-14, 08:14 PM
Group Moderator
Received 374 Votes on 351 Posts
Did it come with any kind of user manual ?

I've only ever added oil thru the air fittings on my guns.

Old 03-22-14, 09:34 PM
Received 28 Votes on 23 Posts
Yep, it's for oiling the impact mechanism.

That looks like my CH impact wrench, general routine

1) add 1 oz. of air tool oil, replace plug
2) run the gun for about half a minute, hold on each side and upside down
3) remove plug, pour out any excess oil.

If the oil is dirty, repeat until clean.

Old 03-22-14, 09:48 PM
Yes, it came with a manual, but the English page explaining the maintenance procedures is non-existent. The page is in Spanish.

Any trick to removing the plug? Just pry with a flat bladed screwdriver? Does the tool need to be oiled before using it for the first time?

Old 03-22-14, 10:04 PM
Received 28 Votes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by mossman
Any trick to removing the plug? Just pry with a flat bladed screwdriver?
Eh, don't know, IIRC, mine has a hex bolt.
Should be a bolt, i.e. turn to remove, not a plug that requires prying out.

You should be able to look up the make/model and other wise get the directions from the Spanish part # on the manual you did get.

Originally Posted by mossman
Does the tool need to be oiled before using it for the first time?
Yes.
It's got 2 parts that need oil. The fan and the wrench.
The small fan which is turned by the air can be oiled by holding the wrench upside down
and squeezing a few drops of air tool oil into the fitting.

The wrench mechanism is harder to access, you need to open the port, add oil, run, remove excess oil, check that the oil isn't dirty.

Old 03-23-14, 03:17 AM
Received 32 Votes on 24 Posts
It appears to be what is generically known as a "Gits" cap or plug from the Gits Manufacturing Company (formerly Gits Brothers). Use a good machine oil, maybe 20 weight or so in a regular squirt oil can and press the spout into that hole. The plug should move inward slightly (spring loaded) and allow the oil to enter. This is to oil the gears and hammer mechanism and you still need to add a few drops of air tool oil in the air inlet each time you use the tool.

Old 03-23-14, 05:32 AM
Another oil required? Geez. Okay. I'm new to the world of air tools. Can you recommend a specific product?

Old 03-23-14, 04:25 PM
It appears to be what is generically known as a "Gits" cap or plug from the Gits Manufacturing Company (formerly Gits Brothers). Use a good machine oil, maybe 20 weight or so in a regular squirt oil can and press the spout into that hole. The plug should move inward slightly (spring loaded) and allow the oil to enter. This is to oil the gears and hammer mechanism and you still need to add a few drops of air tool oil in the air inlet each time you use the tool.
How much and how often? The manual makes no mention of doing this and I can't find any references online. I'm assuming lubing the impact mechanism isn't too crucial if they don't even make mention of it. Plus, my tool will have very light use.

Old 03-24-14, 01:16 AM
Received 32 Votes on 24 Posts
Another oil required? Geez. Okay. I'm new to the world of air tools. Can you recommend a specific product?
Something slippery. While a single grade (weight) non-detergent oil is probably best just about any oil is okay. A bottle of SAE 20 or SAE 30 single weight motor oil will be fine and last almost forever. This oil can also be used for general lubrication of just about anything mechanical so just use a regular pump-type (squirt) oil can. Add a few drops whenever you think about it. Under oiling will cause excessive wear, which in your situation will likely take years and over oiling will not hurt other than to make a mess.