Shop Vac Tripping the Breaker

Old 04-03-14, 01:30 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Shop Vac Tripping the Breaker

All of a sudden, every time I turn on my Shop Vac, it trips the breaker on the electrical panel. I've tried multiple outlets and multiple extension cords, but they make no difference. I'm not sure where to look for the problem, or even if it's possible (or economical) to fix it, versus just buying a new vacuum. Any ideas as to what possible issues could be?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-14, 02:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 170 Votes on 151 Posts
Does it trip the breaker immediately? or does it run for a minute, second or two? Have you inspected the cord and how it goes into the unit?

Old 04-03-14, 04:12 PM
Yes, it trips immediately, and do I have not inspected the cord. Do you think it somehow got jarred to expose wires, causing it to short every time it gets plugged in?

Old 04-03-14, 04:35 PM
Received 65 Votes on 60 Posts
You mentioned that you tried it in "multiple outlets", and that "it trips the breaker". Have you tried it on different circuits, to see if it will trip more than just the same breaker each time? Probably will, but may as rule that possibility out first. Otherwise, I would suspect something along the line that Mark mentioned, whether a bad cord, bad switch, bad wiring, or bad motor. So check the cord for physical damage, as Mark suggested, and try it on another circuit if you haven't already. After that, do you have an ohmmeter and know how to use it?

Old 04-07-14, 05:25 AM
Thanks to all. I went and looked at the cord and didn't see any damage. I pushed it back into the motor area, and it moved up in there about an inch. I plugged it in and gave it a try, and viola! It worked! I guess maybe the cord was getting pulled or strained away from where it connected to the motor, and me pushing it back in helped it out. Saves me money and a headache. Thanks for the suggestions!

Old 04-07-14, 05:34 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 170 Votes on 151 Posts
I'd open it up and check the connections! I wouldn't trust a repair that only included manipulating the wires.