help in choosing air compressor

Old 03-23-14, 01:46 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
help in choosing air compressor

I am looking at a 10 gallon oil lubed Craftsman air compressor. The compressor is 135 psi with the cfm ratings being 3.7 at 40 psi, 2.4 at 90 psi. I like the portability factor with this compressor as I might be using it inside of the house too. Otherwise, it will be stored and used in an unheated garage. I will be using it to inflate, blowing off engine parts among other things, possible nail gun, and would like to eventually use it on occasion to operate impact wrench to rotate tires. I know the cfm ratings aren't great on this compressor, but it has gotten good reviews and a couple of the reviewers have said that they use it to rotate tires and with 600 lb professional impact wrenches, etc. I know while using the impact wrench, I might have to wait between tires for the compressor to fill up. I am not looking to spend a ton of money, so a bigger oil lubed compressor is out of the question. I also don't want to buy a used one. So it is either this compressor, or a 20 gallon oil less compressor. Does anybody have one of these, or does this sound like something that will fit my needs? Thanks.

Old 03-23-14, 03:37 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Removing the lug nuts may be the only nemesis to this. As you indicate the nut were put on by a gorilla with a high torque wrench. You may have to wait between nuts, not wheels to do this, but it can be done. The other aspects of use will be fine although borderline with low cfm's. The portability is a plus, but as you stated will cut down on its high end use. You can't paint with it, for instance. Unless you are wearing hearing protection, don't go with an oilless compressor. We make subs that have them put them in the yard and run hoses into the site.

Old 03-23-14, 03:52 PM
N
I have heard nothing but bad news about any oil-less compressors. I used a Craftsman 20 gallon oil required 110 V compressor for 10 years with no problems ever. I don't know about the 10 gallon volume; that does seem small, but it does not sound like you will have a need for big CFM (no painting etc...).

Tom

Old 03-23-14, 04:17 PM
S
And that's the thing. The 10 gallon craftsman is the biggest 'new' oil lubed compressor I can find at Sears and online. Everything bigger is oil less. I would really like to stick with Craftsman too. I would consider an older used Craftsman but I haven't had any luck finding them on local craiglist. Does anybody know a good place to look for older used oil lube Craftsman compressors?

Old 03-23-14, 04:21 PM
It would almost have to be local, as shipping would be prohibitive. I have had luck (good luck) finding used items at pawn shops and estate sales. Scour your local paper for ads. I am using a 26 gallon Craftsman handed down from my dad's estate that I remember he bought back in the early 80's, and it's still going strong.

Old 03-23-14, 05:22 PM
N
I like pawn shops for finding these kinds of things. I have bought two compressors for my cabin in NC; both from pawn shops. If they compress and hold pressure, that's about all you need. You can do a leak down test over a period of 5-10 minutes. Both of mine were "new" looking. One was an American made brand (forgot the name, 40 gallon paid $200) and the other was dirt cheap Harbor Freight model (25 gallon 3 hp? for $75), and they have both worked for the last 3 years. I keep waiting for the HF unit to die, but it keeps working well. By the way, I paid 50% of the sticker price at each shop (cash speaks volumes in a pawn shop in a bad economy in a rural setting).

Good luck.

Old 03-24-14, 03:32 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Like the others, I wouldn't own an oil less compressor. I have an 11 gal, 1 hp craftsman compressor that I bought new about 30 yrs ago. I don't use it much anymore but it still works fine. Never had any issues using an impact with it but it struggles with paint guns and sanders. I wouldn't be stuck on one particular brand, no need to limit your choices.

Old 03-24-14, 03:56 AM
I'll agree with Marksr on brands. Craftsman is probably still made by Campbell Hausfeld, who makes moat of the compressors you see out there. Aside from the Craftsman I have in my shop, I use a Ridgid double hotdog for the jobsite, and have a small pancake for odd stuff around the house.

Old 03-24-14, 04:09 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I think my old craftsman compressor might have been manufactured by DeVilbiss. My 60 gal 6 hp compressor is a DeVilbiss and the air pump looks almost identical.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: